SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamc_ca

I finished installing my raised beds for SFG of veggies.

JAMc_CA
19 years ago

They're 10 ft long x 4 ft wide and 12 inches tall, made of 2 inch thick redwood, held together at the corners with 3 inch decking screws and 9" deck brackets. I dug up the sod/soil down to a depth of about 10 inches, then added a mix of sand, compost, and topsoil and worked it in. Then filled up the bed with mushroom compost and topped it off with a couple of inches of the sand/compost/topsoil mix - mostly to reduce the odor. If I had it to do over again, I think I would skip the mushroom compost as it is very chunky and also very stinky. I probably should have used the "compost blend" offered by the rockery instead - it was a very fine compost with no chunks. I didn't want to go with vermiculite because I'm not sure it is safe enough, even though everyone says the arsenic contaminant is no longer an issue. I'm just not sure if there are enough regulations and monitoring to put my mind at ease. Perhaps perlite would have been a decent alternative. And maybe after my compost is used up a bit, I can add some perlite at that point. Anyway, it was a lot of work and I'm very pleased with it - except for the "chunkieness".

Comment (1)

Sponsored