SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Is SFG just a modified 'raised bed' type gardening?

kristimama
16 years ago

Hi,

I'm new here. Someone over on the soils forum told me about this. I went to Barnes and Noble this morning and have started reading the book and now I'm working mysef through the posts on this forum.

I had been asking on the soil forum about the "raised beds" I wanted to build and put over some existing clay soil in my yard that, for a number of reasons, I don't really want to plant directly into. I'm glad they clued me into this, because it seems incredible. Can't wait to start!

What I'm wondering... I guess just conceptually, is there a difference between SFG and regular old organic "raised bed" gardening? (I don't do either, yet, I'm just trying to understand all the terminology.)

I mean, aside from the grids and the copious attention to planting and cycling food through as you harvest it, it seems a lot to me like a raised bed.

Thanks for the clarificaion.

I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of me here. (Read... newbie alert. I'll bombard you with LOTS of questions before you can blink.) LOL

-kristi

PS. Justaguy... are you chuckling in the background. I'm going through this sort of evolution as I plan my garden, and your name keeps popping up everywhere I go. CItrus. Containers. Organics... now here. Not stalking you, really!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting