SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterflychaser

Directly Posting Pictures

butterflychaser
17 years ago

Could you make it possible to post pictures directly into any post? You have an option where we can attach a link to any post. But many of us would like to post pictures without the hassle of posting them on another site and then linking to them there.

For instance, many of us in the Daylily Discussion forum want to show off our daylilies and discuss them. I know there's a daylily gallery, but it's separate from the discussion forum, and most of us prefer to hang out in the discussion forum. We'd like the option to directly post a picture to our posts without involving a third-party site.

And it would be nice if each respondent to the post could post a picture. We could start a "What's blooming today" thread each day and "show off."

NancyAnn

Comments (20)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Like this? What am I missing? Do you mean having the ability of uploading pics from one's computer, instead of putting them on line, and then retreiving them from there?

{{gwi:25273}}

BTW...This is Pure and Simple

Sue

• highjack
    17 years ago

How did you upload to the GW without an alternate host?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - that is not PURE AND SIMPLE. P&S is orange, but nice daylily anyway.

Brooke

• Related Discussions

The post I've been waiting to post - It has begun (with pictures)

Q

Comments (6)
    Goodness! The wine opener! I'm packing my (whole) two drawers tonight. Everything else is packed up and ready to go. I'm pulling that out now. We tear out Saturday morning. You must be very excited! When do the new countertops come? I'll have not only no heat, but no outer wall on the northwest end of the house and I live near you! Figures it's the coldest weekend of the year! Stay warm!!
    ...See More

Is this acceptable?? Septic tank...deck post directly above tank.

Q

Comments (13)
    no, the inspector would not know. i would suggest you call and arrange a a meeting between you, the inspector, and your contractor. tell the inspector the contractor and you disagree on whether this matters or not. regardless of how this goes, it is going to cost YOU money. either you have to tear down the deck and be out what you owed the contractor for it, or you have ot pull up and move the tank and be out this cost. like i said earlier, if the contractor hit the tank when digging the posts he knew it was there, and that is your ONLY hope of laying blame off on him. if you tank is deeper than the posts go and he did not hit it, then he had a reasonable expectation of the tank not being there just like you and the inspector. in my area the tank HAS to go where the drawing shows. the health dept tells you where on your land you can put it and then you build your house around that. i have seen people who had a choice of build the house sideways or build a different house because the health dept told them there was only 1 place they could put the tank.
    ...See More

Sorry, forgot to post the kitchen picture on last post!

Q

Comments (0)
    Here is a picture of my kitchen layout with the island Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

I posted a picture on my 'want a good laugh' post

Q

Comments (0)
    Someone wanted to see a pic of the cookies...
    ...See More
  • Ed
    17 years ago

I would post more pictures if it was easier.

• trudi_d
    17 years ago

I use a second party site, my own, lol.
    {{gwi:1260474}}

Why don't you just upload the pictures to hortiplex and then link to them there, that way it's not third party, but second party with GW Hortiplex being the host.

• butterflychaser
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Because it's still a few extra steps. On another site I'm on, we can just click the upload button and attach a pic to our post--like we do in email. You simply select the photo from a file on your own computer. It's fast and simple and even those who are not computer savvy can do it. Some are not familiar with HTML and are daunted by the idea of uploading to another site and copying and pasting tags.

By the way, Trudi, your picture doesn't appear for me. And that's another problem with a lot of the pics people post--the link is broken so the pics don't appear.

NancyAnn

• kidsmoke
    17 years ago

Would you be willing to pay for the service? I also belong to another forum that has it's own picture hosting service and I can upload to my gallery on the site and insert photo's in a post. Membership to the site is free, there is a charge for the gallery. Think of the increase in bandwidth that would occur if gardenweb began offering it's own gallery/hosting service. The daylily thread alone would surely increase the costs for the site owners.

• butterflychaser
    Original Author
    17 years ago

On the other major garden site I visit, there's a lot more activity on the forum because people can easily attach photos. They don't have to have an outside photo site. There are daily "What's Blooming Today" posts where we all post pictures of the daylilies we have blooming. And boy, some of those photos make your mouth water. I wouldn't bother posting there if I had to link to another site for each and every pic. It's just too time consuming.
    To decrease the bandwidth, the pictures show up as clickable thumbnails. But the thumbnails are a pretty good size so you don't have to click them if you don't want to.

Honestly, it takes as much download time to download photos stored on a third-party site as it does photos stored on this site. So naturally, either way you do it, people on dial-up may quit checking the post after it gets so many photos on it--just as they may already be doing. So it really wouldn't slow anyone down who isn't already avoiding picture posts.

Actually GW already has this feature on its galleries. So it's not far-fetched. I just want to expand it a little. Right now, only ONE photo can be posted this way in a thread on the galleries. On the other site I'm on, EVERY post in the thread can contain a picture uploaded directly from the computer.

And it's not a feature you would HAVE to use. Those of you who prefer using tags could still do your photos that way. But for those of us who are a bit lazy or in a hurry could simply upload instead of linking.

And yes, I'd contribute to the cost. I was a contributing member of GW before Ivillage took it over and declared it all free. And I'm a contributing member of the other site. $15 or $20 a year isn't too bad. That's what Picturetrail costs me.

NancyAnn

• anntn6b
    17 years ago

I have a slow, land line averages 27.6kps and directly posted pictures often don't download for me. DSL isn't an option thanks to BellSouth not wanting to extend DSL three miles out to our part of the boondocks.
    I don't know the personalities above, so I'm simply adding this so someone might care that inclusion of multiple non-optional photos in a thread may make some threads unreadable for those of us with slow downloads.
    Small downloadable thumbnails work for us slow folks as do larger photos with limited KB, and the option of clicking to see more details is delightful.
    But if there's a thread I want to follow, having to wait for multiple photos to download each time becomes a deal breaker.

17 years ago

Opps...Don't know where I got that other one from...Might this be Pure and Simple? Thanks Calif Sue for bringing that to my attention.

{{gwi:1260473}}Â Â

So, Nancy Ann, are you saying if I go to a 'gallery' here I can just put a photo in the message without putting it in Photobucket first?...even on Dial-up, or do you think that will make a difference? I know it takes a loooong time to upload just one to Photobucket. I suppose it will take just as long to upload here.

I'm off to the Test Forum Gallery to check it out.

Sue

17 years ago

Actually GW already has this feature on its galleries. So it's not far-fetched. I just want to expand it a little. Right now, only ONE photo can be posted this way in a thread on the galleries.

Well, I can't seem to be able to do it at the Test Forum Gallery. What is the trick?

Possibly you could be the one to initiate a 'What's bloomin today' post in the gallery and get it active. I wish more folks would use the galleries. I often go to galleries, looking for some pics, and find no one has even posted any for this season.

I have managed to perfect posting from Photobucket though...no small feat for me...the computer challenged senoir.

How do I do it? Post from my photos step by step...anyone?

Nancy, do you mean only one person (the OP) can post one pic? or that each reply to the OP can only post one pic?

You are talking about inserting the pic in the message...right?

Can you tell I'm lost as usual?

Sue

• butterflychaser
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sue, in a gallery, when you start a thread, when you go to preview, you have the option of directly uploading a picture from your computer. Your picture must be 60 kbs or less or it will be rejected. Then in your post, the picture doesn't appear, but a link to where the picture is stored on GW's server does. However, only the original poster can post a pic in this manner on this thread.

AND the picture doesn't actually show up until you click the picture link to actually download the picture. Because the pic is only 60 kbs or less and because you must click to download, it doesn't overwhelm your internet connection. In fact, it enhances it because you only click on the pictures you want to see.

So what I am asking is that this option be made available for every post. As it is now, if I want to upload pictures, I must a start a new thread for each picture. If I want to post 20 pictures in this manner, I'll generate 20 posts, and become known as a forum hog.

Below is an example of what I'm talking about. I posted in the Daylily Gallery and the link is below. You can see that my uploaded picture appears as a link, which you can click and then see the picture.

On other sites, the uploaded picture appears as a clickable thumbnail. You can click the thumbnail to see the bigger picture if you want. And everyone who answers your post can add their pictures too. It really makes for a nice party.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Post in the Gallery

• flower_lover5
    17 years ago

Personally, I like it the way it is. That's one of the reasons I don't frequent that "other site", even though I'm a "contributing" member - I don't like the clickable thumbnails. Each to their own taste, though.
    Nancy, it seems that you're making more work for yourself if you frequent more than one forum. If you upload to a third-party site, then you can post the picture to any number of forums and you only had to upload it one time.
    But like I said........each to their own!!

Tammy

• shive
    17 years ago

I agree with Butterfly Chaser. That other site is my main site simply because the photo loading is so easy. If I can upload directly from my computer to the gallery, I should also be able to do it on the forum. Sure you can upload to hortiplex, but then when you post a pic on the forum, you have to type in all the extra code. Why make it so hard? No one should be limited to one daylily forum. I frequent several, and am also involved in some email robins. Please Garden Web, make it easy on us.

Debra

17 years ago

I've never been able to figure out how to post a link from My Pics on my computer to a Gallery thread? I read the directions...what am I missing?

In the meantime, I'll just post them within the message, and/or post the URL from Photobucket.

I know everything will just be wonderful in so many ways once I get something faster than dial-up.

Sue...waiting for some speed

• jeffrey_harris
    17 years ago

Sue,

Maybe this has already been explained (I read the previous messages hurriedly) but you first upload a pic from 'My Pics' on your computer (or anywhere else there) to Photobucket (which has a free hosting service). Photobucket, like other sites, hosts the pic on the Internet. Once you have a pic loaded, you click here and there (PB has a method of getting the HTML code for you to copy) and load the code into your GW message, which is how you're able to post pics (without links) directly into your GW message.

{{gwi:67596}}

• butterflychaser
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sue, to directly upload from your own computer like I do, here's how:

When you go to the gallery, write your post and click preview. Under the preview box, you'll see:

Image file to upload (optional):

With a blank box next to it and the word BROWSE.

Click Browse and find your file on your computer. Your jpeg must be 60 kbs or less or it will be rejected. Find it and double click on it. The file name will then appear in the blank box before BROWSE. Click submit.

Then your picture will appear as a clickable link in your post. It won't slow down people's computers. They can click on the link to see the pic if they want to.

What I'm requesting is that each post have this option. So if you post a picture of what's blooming for you today, I can come in under you, without starting a new thread, and post a picture of what I have blooming today or whatever the topic is.

This way is much quicker for me than always uploading the pics elsewhere and then having to find a URL tag on another site to post here.

Of course I could just start several threads to post every picture I want to post. But then I'd hog a forum.

NancyAnn

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

FWIW - I had a problem seeing some of the pictures that others obviously were seeing. I finally called RoadRunner and they walked me through the problem. It was a setting; something about hiding ads. I now have to deal with a few popups, but well worth being able to see all the pictures on the forums.

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

Sue, so what's the name of the 1st daylily you posted? Both are very pretty.

17 years ago

Peggy,

I bought it locally years ago from a grower, and didn't realize that knowing the name would ever matter, so I no longer know the name. I've since learned that a named plant has a lot more trading value, than a no id plant, but I wasn't a member and trader years ago.

butterflychaser,

I finally found the 'browse' button! I found it does not show when I'm using Opera as a browser, but does show when I use Firefox. I thought I was going nuts because I couldn't see it though everyone said it was there.

Sue...still learning

• bihai
    17 years ago

I would like to have the ability to post photos into the text in the TRADE and EXCHANGE forums. Then you can show people EXACTLY what you have to trade and there can be no misunderstandings

Sponsored