SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hossman24

Advice for border plants/flowers for a first-time gardener? Pics

13 years ago

Hi! I'm very new to gardening and had a question to see if anyone had any advice. I live in Northeast TN. It appears as if I'm right between zone 6 and 7...but I live in the mountains...about 3500 feet above sea level.

I recently bought my grandmother's old home and would like to start some planting. She was a fantastic gardener...she raised the most spectacular vegetable garden, but also had beautiful flowers all around the house. I'd like to spruce some things up here, also.

I'd love to start by putting something along the front walk of the house. It stays in full sun all day long. It may look as if that's a drainage ditch to the sides of the walk, but my dad just dug them out a year ago or so. Surprisingly, there's rarely standing water if it rains.

Additionally, I'd like to plant something in front of the porch.

Problem is...I have no idea what to plant! I think I'd like something that blooms, but I wouldn't be opposed to a fairly easy to contain evergreen. But again...I'm new to this...it's my first time ever planting, and I'm completely open to suggestion.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Loving these forums!

:) pay no mind to the condition of the home...I have a LOT of work to do this spring! :)

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville