SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jkrup44

Any advice for first time gardener?

15 years ago

This is my first time with a vegetable garden. I have always wanted one and finally just started one in November. At first I thought it would be a bad time to start, but the weather here in central Florida has been quite nice this Winter. I built a raised bed garden using 8' X 6' pieces of wood. I had stirred up the existing soil in the area and when I constructed the wood rectangle, I added some garden soil and a couple of bags of composted cow manure. I planted tomatoes better boy, sweet 100, and husky cherry. Red, yellow, and green bell, a smaller sweet orange variety, and jalapeno peppers. Zucchini, Cucumbers, and a bunch of "buttercrisp" lettuce. Everything has at least tripled in size so far and looks very healthy. No issues with bugs so far or the health of the plants. There are very small green tomatoes forming on the sweet 100 and flowers on the peppers. What I realize that I have done wrong so far is not adhering to the recommended spacing. Much of the lettuce is now crammed together. The zucchini and cucumber plants are getting huge and will soon be cramming adjacent plants (they are also sending out tendrils that want to grab their neighbors). Any advice would really be appreciated. Should I remove some of the lettuce early to prevent overcrowding? How long will all of these plants last in a warm subtropical climate before they need replaced?

{{gwi:133478}}

Comments (6)