SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faerybutterflye

First-time Gardener, looking for some advice

faerybutterflye
14 years ago

Hi everybody, I have been reading your posts and following much of your advice. (Especially you, okiedawn, since you live very close to me!) We moved into our house in Ardmore last April (and I was 9 months pregnant!) so I didn't have time to do anything besides throw some seeds haphazardly into pots for the front porch. Half of those drowned in the heavy spring rains (which I didn't know about) and the rest burned up when we went on a 3-day trip to Austin in the middle of June. Now that my son is getting pretty independent, I am looking for something productive to fill my time. And I love plants, just never have had a yard big enough to have a garden. Now I do!

Anyhow, I spent today raking up all the leaves that we didn't get up in the fall and building a compost heap in our back corner. My main question is this: I have beds planned that are FULL of grass and weeds. What method should I use to clear them successfully? I have a mix of perennial and annual bulbs for the front beds (gladiolus, daylilies, elephant ears, and caladium) and may plant wildflower seeds along the sides of the house. And I have a fairly large vegetable garden planned for the backyard, along with containers of herbs and flowers for the front porch.

Since I am new to this, any advice on what exactly I should be doing in January to get my beds ready would help. (Although Melissa's post was helpful to me!) I am waiting to borrow my in-laws' rototiller until I know how to deal with this grass and stuff. Thanks!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals