SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

When to water newly planted offsets

kwie2011
9 years ago

I planted some Bantel's Sensation offsets in a mix of 75% pumice to 25% cactus mix. The offsets are 4-6 inches tall. I broke them off the rhizomes of the parent plants, let them callous several days, then planted them in dry mix. Each plant had 1 or 2, 1/2" to 1" roots on the rhizome.

I waited a few days, then gave them a light watering to feed those little roots. I then waited maybe ten days before watering lightly again. They are outside in the heat (what we call heat in w. Oregon, anyway), so two weeks later, stupidly convinced those little roots had taken hold, I watered them again when I noticed the leaves weren't turgid. A few days later I checked the leaves thinking they'd be nice and firm, but nope. Uh oh. They bent too easily. Concerned, I dug into the mix and found all the !@#$ roots gone. The rhizomes are still firm. No sign of rot there, but the roots clearly rotted.

Obviously I over watered them. In soil, I can easily gauge when a plant needs water. I can feel when the soil is completely dry. Not so easy to tell when using this mix. Won't be so easy when I get a batch of gritty mix made either. So, my questions are:

1) How the @#$% do I know when to water my plants now?

2) Are these guys likely to survive since they've probably lost 30-60% of their stored water?

Grrrr...!@#$%&*! beating my head against a wall.

Comments (14)