SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

watering/winterizing newly planted moonglow juniper

14 years ago

I'm in Wisconsin, 4b/5a.

Got a deal on a 4' moonglow juniper and put it in the ground today. It was in about a 3-4 gallon pot and I was a bit concerned when I saw that the roots looked brown when I took the tree out of the pot...the ones that were up against the pots sides were brown. I couldn't actually see any other roots as I didn't break open the soil at all, just put it in the hole (too much hand pain going on today) with water and then watered it in well. I haven't planted enough conifers to know if they normally have some brown roots, but it seems like I remember that some do have brown roots in my gardens.

Here are a few facts: I planted this on the south side of my gray shed, so it's going to get full sun, southern exposure all the time, which of course I do know can be very hard on it during the winter. I've planted round green woodwardii arborvitae this late before but got WAY more browning than I wanted by spring time and none of those shrubs look that great even now, 4 years later. They were lovely and lush when I bought them.

My questions are:

How long should I keep watering this baby...until the ground freezes?

The Moonglow doesn't have any browning right now...should I spray it with that protective spray (has the word "cloud" in the title, I think) for the winter, or should I wrap it in burlap? This tree is in the view from my living room, so I would rather look on burlap through the winter than a half dead tree come spring.

Any suggestions on what to do and the best timetable for it would be appreciated!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County