SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
binlin

Help rooting my pinguicula

binlin
13 years ago

I received a pinguicula pup in the mail about a month ago with two 4-inch long main roots and the remainder of the stolon cut to about 1 inch.

I planted this pup in a shallow pot about 2 inches deep(5x4 inches) using a coarse mixture (gravel, bark and perlite) and misted it occasionally (Lightly every 3-4 days).

In any case, it's been about a month since the pup has arrived and been planted but the leaves have begun to shrink as they lose water content. It felt loose in the pot so I upended it today to find that no new roots have formed, but some of the finer roots have dried. There is no rot and no soft, discoloured or otherwise damaged tissue.

I'm just posting to ask if my rooting method is correct, or if there's anything I should change. For the moment I've repotted the pinguicula propped between two stones to keep the remaining roots at a depth of about half an inch under the surface.

Here you can see the plant as it is now, the leaves are a little shrunken but otherwise healthy. From left to right you can see 2 main roots and the remaining stolon on the far right. The potting mixture and stones are damp because I've just misted them.

{{gwi:1252942}}

So what should I do? Any tips or insights are welcome.

Comments (16)