SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bernardyjh

Care Tips for Mexican Pinguicula

bernardyjh
8 years ago

Hi CP Folks! This is my first time growing some really tiny Mexican Pings.

I've researched quite a bit on M. Pings, and understood that they prefer well draining soil, but also contain enough minerals for the roots to hold onto.

I primarily grow cacti and succulents, so my mix might still appear to be too gritty.. so would like to hear your soil, care tips and advise.

My mix consist of 1 part - turface, 1 part - grow stones, 1 part - vermiculite, 1 part - perlite and 1 part - mixed peat and coir. They are all screened except till a sieve to prevent dust/finer particles except for the mixed peat and coir part.

I mainly use terra cotta pots (too airy for Pings), so I improvised and poked some drainage holes into some Styrofoam cups.

This is a Pinguicula 'Weser', doesn't seem to have alot of roots, then again like I mentioned I only grew cacti and succulents, so I don't know how much roots to expect. Is this amount of roots normal for a Mexican Ping?

Also, the leaves droop alot! Making it very difficult to pot. What I did, like how I pot most echeverias, is using the soil to pitch a 'mini mount', then anchor the drooping plant over the 'mount'. Hope this is fine.

Pinguicula 'Esseriana', this guy seems to have more roots than the previous one.

The green succulent leaves are signs that it is going dormant? Should I begin to water lesser if the plant is going dormant?

So far, I've only used distilled bottled water, nothing else. Kept them in a humidity tray, and whenever the water in tray is low, or almost completely dehydrated, I water them from the top of the mix, on the edges of the plant. Never over the plant.

They get bright, shaded indirect sunlight. Do I keep them this way? I've read they don't really need much direct sunlight.

Cheers,

Bernard

Comments (7)

Sponsored