SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
randy_ritchie

Need to pick your brains on my front foundation

Randy Ritchie
19 years ago

Folks, I wonder if you can give me some input. Here's my problem:

The front foundation plantings were lovely, professional plantings some 30 years ago, I'm sure. Over time, they have turned into a weedy mess, and many of the original plants have died. I need to clean up and re-plant as cheaply as possible. The original shrubs were planted with dark plastic laid around them, then covered with pine straw. Over time, as the pine straw decayed and new was added, the weeds took hold. I am currently using round-up to eradicate weeds, plus the brush killer for the prickly viney stuff.

I have plants that I can put in once the weeds are gone. Tried hand-pulling them, but it just disturbed the soil (last year) and each weed was replaced with a colony of more weeds.

So, once cleaned up, do I still use the black plastic around the plants, or use landscape fabric, or just mulch and keep using weed killer to keep things in check, once I have things planted? The job needs to be as non-labor intensive as possible, as I'm struggling with arthritis and as-yet undiagnosed breathing problems (lung inflammation). So any ideas on the best, inexpensive way to do this? Oh, and I forgot to say that we have an automatic sprinkling system here to keep the plantings watered.

Thanks all!

girlsaylor

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions