SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindy_loo_gw

Can I pick your brains a little?

lindy_loo
11 years ago

Hello!

I just completed my first year market farming and it was a great experience. I did really well, but not nearly as well as I could have. The heat did a number on us and we lost half our crops before we were able to get a decent watering system in place. I am feeling really confident about next year, though.

I was hoping to get some advice on a few things if you don't mind sharing.

I was wondering what bed size you use and how many rows you fit into each bed. Specifically, do you have a standard bed size or do you change it depending on the crop? I was thinking of doing 4 bed sizes depending on the crop but I think I'm complicating things.

My second question is about spring planting. I'm zone 5 and I don't have a lot of experience with cold weather crops so I am trying to get my planting times down. I planted far too late this year and I didn't get very good production because of it. When do you plant things like spring brassicas, onions, peas, carrots, beets etc.? I'm thinking mid April...

Finally, at what intervals do you succession plant? I am having a real hard time finding good advice on this. I want to succession plant beans, carrots and beets and maybe some others.

Thank you so much for any advice.

Comments (12)

Sponsored