SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

I dont know Beans, Beets, or Broccoli . . .

digit
18 years ago

The seed catalogs are starting to arrive!

Well, IÂd best come clean right out of the shoot. I do know beans, beets, & broccoli; I just donÂt know all IÂd like to about choosing appropriate veggie varieties.

By 2006, I figure IÂve had about 40 seasons of gardening experience, man & boy. What IÂve discovered is that certain varieties, SUPER in 1 part of the country, arenÂt worth a tinkerÂs DAMN somewhere else. Climate seems to me to be the primary reason altho there are lots of variables. And, like many Westerners, I canÂt benefit much from the experiences the majority of Western gardeners, who like most people, live along the coast. They might as well live on the other side of the world but tell that to my stateÂs Cooperative Extension officials.

Okay, if you wonÂt protest that IÂm hijacking this forum (and I do have quite a bit of experience with ornamentals that I can share elsewhere for RMF gardeners with that special bent), IÂd like to go thru the seed catalogs and ask about your enthusiasm for certain varieties. The alphabet seems to be how these things are set up and, at the risk of another shouting  "will someone shut this cretin up!," IÂd like go thru these over the next few weeks and get all the expert advise you care to share. And, we can talk about ANY varieties and ideas/problems you have!

Now beans  What IÂd appreciate help with is the "non green" beans. I love the taste of purple beans but that ol' Royal Burgundy must have a field life of about 20 minutes. Pick any later after theyÂve reached their prime and IÂm rewarded with a mouth full of fiber. And, wax . . . Roc dÂOr are ookaaay but has anyone tried & succeeded with other varieties?

Beets  grow Red Ace every year lately. What IÂd really like is having nice baby beets into September/October. Shucks, they are my favorite veggie! But, I canÂt come up with a variety that germinates well any later than mid May and grows during the heat of Summer.

Broccoli  IÂve just about given up trying to grow anything other than Green Comet but IÂd LIKE to have something a little larger. I think IÂd be willing to fight the cabbage worms and aphids off for a few more weeks IF there was hope for some really nice heads and more useable side shoots. (I used to grow Italian Sprouting but found this OP variety so variable that I couldnÂt count on them if half the plants werenÂt going to turn out nice. Seasonally, Premium Crop has been an on-again-off-again winner  lost patience.)

IÂll appreciate ALL of your comments & observations and hope that I can be of some help.

Steve

Comments (26)