SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ion_source_guy

Picked fresh for Thanksgiving dinner

ion_source_guy
14 years ago

Here's the broccoli I picked fresh from the garden Thanksgiving morning.

The snow in the garden was half melted, and since I had already rotatilled all undeer but the broccoli, it was a mud pit. I spent 5 minutes picking broccoli and taking the pics and then another 20 cleaning the mud off my shoes! However, it was worth it because the broccoli tasted great, and went along with the turkey a whole lot better than that traditional mushy green bean/mushroom soup casserole glop that I've hated since I was a kid.

Well, this year my broccoli was set back repeatedly by the 3 hail storms, so about half of mine still had not been harvested when first frost hit. I knew it would hold up to the frost pretty well, so when I went through the rest of the vegetable garden with the lawn mower, and then the rotatiller, I just left the broccoli standing. It was really looking good, and I'd picked several more meals worth, when we got that major cold snap in mid-October. It got down to 11 degrees two nights in a row here at my house that week, so in the snow, I went out and picked all the broccoli still in the garden. When I picked them there were huge ice crystals INSIDE the middle of the stems. I figured that was it. So I picked all I could that day.

Then things sort of warmed up a bit for the last month or so. A week ago, I was surprised to see there was a whole new batch of medium and small sized heads that have grown and matured since Halloween, even though we've had frost nearly every night. So I held off picking them thinking maybe they'd be good with Turkey. When I picked them, there were a few that were a little sunburned but most of them looked beautiful. I steamed them, and we had them with the Turkey and they tasted terrific. Very flavorful, even the ones that were sunburned tasted great. Since I've recently learned to be a LOT more careful about not overcooking my broccoli (5.5 min in the steamer, not a second longer) I've realized fresh broccoli tastes quite a lot better than frozen. I used to think it didn't matter much with broccoli.

I also picked a couple of big handfuls of sage leaves for the dressing after digging it out of the snow in the herb garden. I like lots of sage in my dressing. This year even my 4 year old son decided he liked the "croutons" I put on his plate, so that was a major accomplishment, and compliment to the chef.

Did any of you folks pick something fresh for your Thanksgiving meal?

Bruce

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting