SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
t_bird_gw

The 2012 Magic begins.....questions on germination...

t-bird
12 years ago

I haven't had great success thus far with peppers, but 2012 is the year, I can feel it!!

I planted up 2-3 seeds each of all my peppers on Dec 20th-21st....a total of 18 pepper seeds in all (I don't want toooooo too many to work with in the house this early, may do up some more in feb or march...).

so far - both jalapeno seeds and one hungarian hot wax is up - yay!

I'm seeding just one seed into the starter plugs, so looking for 2-3 of each plant type, and maybe more later depending....

Now - my question is: When do I give up on the cells that haven't comes through? They are being kept nice and warm, with some bottom heat when the radiators aren't too hot. and I was surprised at how quickly everything came up with my new system (I've already transplanted 8 toms from the same sowing time, as well as about 10 basils). 1 eggplant seed is also up, so I think the temps are pretty good for germinating pepper seeds.

They are in a starter tray in a nice potting mix that had organic nutrients and watered in with a diluted seaweed emulsion. they have exposure to a S. window, plus are under a set of 3 shop lights with 1 cool 1 hot bulb (one of these has 1 bulb out - not sure which, so they are under 3 of one and 2 of the other bulbs). Given the quick germination of the toms and basil, I think things are pretty optimal for germination. The lights are on for about 12-16 hours a day, mostly whenever I am up, and the much longer duration of lights has thus far had all the seedlings growing straight, and not towards the window - so I am glad they are able to get natural sun as well.

What is the max time you would give a hot pepper seed to sprout with fairly optimum conditions?

I am thinking to give it to the 3 week point, and then replant whichever ones don't come up. Is this too long? Or not long enough?

Other seeds planted are habanero, slim Cheyenne, hot ancho, sante fe, and maybe one other?

Guess I expected more action after the jalapeno first appeared 4-5 days ago...but perhaps there is variation amongst different kinds of hot peppers?

thanks for your wisdom and experience!!!

Comments (17)

Sponsored