SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jclepine

My summer-like Saturday or How to prepare for winter

jclepine
15 years ago

So, the last few days have been very warm. I had become accustomed to popsicled roses eavery morning but now I am enjoying having that chance to get out and do the last minute before-winter-things that need to be done.

I finished putting in the THIRD round of bulbs I bought. Finally.

I tidied up the empty and dead tomato plants.

All the bamboo stakes are in the shed.

Pots stacked and ready to go in the other shed.

Scattered tools are collected, cleaned and put away (yes, I am a slob in the yard!)

Now, all that is left is to plant the seeds that are waiting to be planted between Oct 20 and Nov 30: Rudbeckia hirta, Coreopsis tinctoria, dwarf, and Castilleja "Indian paintbrush." Hopefully they will all do well up here...don't really know! But, I had to give seeds at least one more try!

Oh, and to figure out if anything needs to be mulched. Now that I think of it, what do I need to cut back? Can I just leave the perennials as they are or should I do something to them?

I think I'll chop the mums down as they have finally finished blooming. The roses will go down to a foot and a half. The Fairy rose will probably get a light mulching of grass.

I think the only other things I am worried about are the catmints. I doubt the thyme or the geranium sanguineums need mulch.

Oh, and I almost forgot I still have all that Siberian iris foliage to lop off.

Are you all ready for winter??

J.

Comments (7)