SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Something Simple from the Garden for Lunch

digit
10 years ago

What's your quick way to enjoy something simple from the garden for lunch?

cellphone photo

This is a real common way for me to have lunch (partly) from the garden here in the south window. The noodles are a little different from usual ("Phnom Penh style." ;o) but they are often instant rice noodles like these. No, I don't eat them with chopsticks - probably be a good way for me to lose weight, tho'!

Not long after ramen noodles showed up on the US market, I showed up in an Asian market and bought Korean instant noodles "Kimchi style!" Those fit my tastes and I've still reserved a kitchen self for those especially.

Where does the garden produce come in? I'm right back to early spring with snow pea pods, cilantro and scallions. Gotta be honest, the only onions I've got now are sweet onions. A quick saute of shallots would be the choice if the soopermarket scallions were not so quickly at hand.

Nearly peasant food but an Asian country person often has to "go to town" to enjoy noodles. Yes, rice is a real possibility in the south window, too! All I gotta do is have some rice cooked and put the rice with these veggies in a hot skillet with some broth and soy sauce close at hand! A couple minutes later, lunch!

Oh, the veggies came out of the garden after about 7 frosts; there's bok choy, too! These are the last of the snow peas and the bok choy in the greenhouse will have to do some quick growing to replace what's in the crisper drawer of the fridge!

Steve

Comments (6)