SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

lawn - beaten and muddied

digit
17 years ago

One part of our lawn is an integral part of our outdoor activities. I canÂt say that we have a beautiful lawn on any side of the house, but itÂs a mighty poor lawn under ours and the neighborÂs locust trees.

The trees sit on the property line and a previous neighbor claimed that the line passed on our side of both. Since an old fence ran between the 2, thatÂs where I put the replacement fence. The new neighbor has made no claims but we really donÂt know who owns the trees or at least the larger one (the one with MY birdhouse ;o).

ItÂs not that I greatly value black locust trees but we do gain important shade in that location for processing our garden produce. The problem is the LAWN - the aesthetic value has been lost with so much bare dirt exposed.

Part of the problem is the slope and there IS a need for erosion control. Regular watering with a lawn sprinkler doesnÂt cause much if any run-off even now. That can change during a rainstorm if the ground is already wet. Even rapid snow melt has been an issue. So, we NEED the lawn grass! (I donÂt want to do terracing since this area provides access to the shop and greenhouse. Yes, I drive across it once or twice a year!)

Reseeding the lawn now - - Processing garden produce has come to an end for the year. I realize that it is late but the trees still have a few leaves on them so shade may have been an issue until this moment. Anyway, we can stay off this area well into Spring - wonÂt even need to walk over there until mid-May. Does it make sense to put down lawn seed in October?

A little Kentucky bluegrass is there now. This area is "dry" shade for the most part altho shaded by buildings and the fence late in the day. Shade from the trees begins to fall on the lawn about 10 AM.

With the trees dropping their leaves and the angle of the sun changing  I suppose one could say that thereÂs more daylight in this area at this time of year than during the height of Summer.

IÂve put down brick paving in other areas of the yard because of shade and traffic but would sure hate to do that here under the locust trees. Can you suggest best varieties of grass, planting time, and maybe soil prep?

Steve

Comments (8)