SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Daylength, neighbors think I'm crazy

digit
13 years ago

The neighbors think I'm crazy. Because, I don't keep "regular hours."

We will make that ridiculous change of our clocks in awhile. (It can't come soon enuf; I think they wait until a required number of early morning pedestrian fatalities occur . . . :o( Maybe I should have my own clock -- based on "hours from sunrise."

The guy across the road is young, probably not much past 30 but he is absolutely punctual by the clock in his comings and goings. Winter and summer, that big black rig starts up - he spins his 180, and he is off to work, hi ho! His dog in the backyard begins to bark, 3 minutes before he arrives back home in the afternoon, hi ho.

Me? In mid-summer, I head off before he makes it out the door and, often, return long after he has popped the tab on his 1st can of Bud. These days, it's different.

Sunrise, sunset

Sunrise, sunset

Swiftly flow the days

We have just dropped below 11 hours of sunlight here. It happens so quickly that even after over 40 years living at this latitude, I have trouble adjusting. It is no surprise that after so many hours of dark skies and twinkling stars, frost covers the lawn as the sun rises. But a week ago, and despite unseasonably warm weather, daylength was putting the brakes on plant growth.

I mean, my garden gets right at 16 hours of sunshine on the summer solstice. Of course, soon it will get 16 hours of darkness.

Here is a webpage set up by a guy with a lot of talent! You can find all the numbers here about your sunrise, sunset, daylength - just find your location and allow your cursor to hover over the graph: http://ptaff.ca/soleil/?lang=en_CA

You can also look at other locations to compare. Take Barrow, Alaska, for instance . . !! Like to have a 1 minute day on November 18th . . . and then 2 months of darkness?? Yikes!

Steve âº

Sunrise, sunset

Sunrise, sunset

Swiftly flow the days

Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers

Blossoming even as we gaze

Sunrise, sunset

Sunrise, sunset

Swiftly fly the years

One season following another

Laden with happiness and tears

Comments (11)