SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

A rose by any other name would still be as sweet?

highalttransplant
16 years ago

Aha! I made you rose lovers look! I was referring to the Rose of Sharon 'Freedom'. Does anyone else have this shrub? As you can see from the photo and description in the link below, the blooms are supposed to be "scarlet red". Well, I planted a couple of these last fall, and one of them finally has a bloom open, and you guessed it. Not red. Not even burgandy. Closer to fuschia. It wouldn't be so obvious, except that it is right next to a rust/burgandyish colored mum, which is just starting to bloom as well.

The funny thing is that I have specifically avoided pinks and purples in this garden. Three other times this year something was sold to me incorrectly, and bloomed pink or purple when it wasn't supposed to.

If anyone else has grown this shrub, what were the color of the blooms? What I am wondering is if this is another example of being sold the wrong product, or is this plant just being described inaccurately. I can think of many plants that are called red, like some varieties of Weigela, when I would call them a deep pink.

Or is this a mass plot to infiltrate my garden with pinks and purples? JUST KIDDING!!!!!

The next question is what can I replace it with that will give me the same vertical interest, and fit in with my color scheme?

Thanks for your advice,

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose of Sharon 'Freedom'

Comments (12)