SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Flashing my Passport at the Border

digit
12 years ago

{{gwi:1223417}}

The Goliath tomato weighs 1 1/4 pounds so you can see that the Passport Galia melon isn't very large. I am just so pleased that I can grow melons here. There's no question, the ability to grow melons here is right on the border of possible success and usual failure.

Passport has been in my garden for about 6 or 7 years, now. I tried for many seasons to grow melons before I discovered this Israeli melon family - the Galia. Wikipedia says that it is a cantaloupe/honeydew cross and that's exactly what it looks like. The exterior has the appearance of the cantaloupe but the flesh is green. Passport is the only Galia variety that I've grown but it is a consistent producer. Why mess with success here at the border?

A little Charentais melon has also grown well for me - Honey Girl. But, this melon has also failed in our cool nights, short-season part of the world. If I would have found the seeds, I suspect that it would have failed this spring when we had a record cool start to the season. Maybe not . . . The Charentais variety that I tried last year failed to ripen properly. The Santon Charentais that is in the garden may or may not ripen. (I think it will ripen . After a record cool start, it looks like we may have record HIGH temperatures to finish!)

Anyway, I wanted to flash my Passport! I've been eating these melons for about a week now. They work for me and if your garden environment is melon-challenged, they might work for you, too!

Steve

Comments (13)