SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_co_gw

Two + months into making my first cuttings (photos)

michelle_co
17 years ago

Here's a photo update. I hope this is encouraging for anyone who wants to try rooting roses. :-)

I started my first cuttings ever on June 19. There are now 20 residents in my pot ghetto, cuttings that rooted and most all have good top growth going. The exception are the Canadians. Some of them seem to take a while to start growing leaves (makes sense to me).

The ghetto. It's in full sun and I have to water twice a day minimum if it's hot out.

{{gwi:1242568}}

These are newer cutting that have rooted, but will not be transplanted until they are fully hardened off AND have more roots.

{{gwi:1242569}}

This is Mary Rose, I have three copies. Two rooted fast, one of them is still sulking in a soda bottle. This cutting is about 3 weeks old.

{{gwi:1242570}}

These are the newest minis. They are 2-3 weeks old. Don't know how well rooted they are, but they are out in full sun all day. When they start showing more top growth, they will get large pots.

{{gwi:1242571}}

That's my update. I have about 10 cuttings still in bottles. If everything takes, I will have approx. 40 rooted roses from cuttings this year. There are about 10 more cuttings I would like to take this year, and that will happen in the next week or so.

Overwintering them - I am not sure about. That's the next big challenge for this novice.

Happy Gardening,

Michelle

Comments (13)