SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

First 4 months of Purple Island ** 6 photos **

gottagarden
17 years ago

My new bed last year was this Purple Island. Somehow I convinced DH to build a fieldstone retaining wall to create a "small" island in the lawn of our backyard just off the patio. It took him most of the summer and fall to build. Then snow came. In May 2006 he put the top finishing layer on. I started planting in June. I took all the plants from my side garden aka my "working garden", so they were already good sized.

Click on any photo for a larger image and to go to my album.

{{gwi:648089}}

I laid fieldstone paths for accessing the plants.

{{gwi:648091}}

Voila! 3 months after planting.

{{gwi:203449}}

{{gwi:648093}}

{{gwi:648096}}

The required photo of a darling child.

{{gwi:648100}}

Kids are catching butterflies on a hot day. Didn't DH build a great wall?

{{gwi:648103}}

Winter view

For even more photos click on the link to my album below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gottagarden's Purple Island Album

Comments (37)

• bloominganne
    17 years ago

Gottagarden,

Your stonework and the plantings are beautiful. It must have taken a lot of planning for both the layout of the paths and then the plantings. You have a great way with colors and plant combinations. Thanks for sharing - you have much to be proud of!

bloominganne

• User
    17 years ago

That is one of the most stunnig series of photos I have EVER seen. What a beautiful place to be. Caroline

• Related Discussions

6 month old seedlings getting their 'y' & buds already

Q

Comments (26)
    Nova12, Has the flower opened up yet? im curious as to what the bloom will look like. On the orchid note, I've suprisingly neglected both my phal and two cymbidiums into blooming for me. One even got knocked over during a stong wind and lost a lot of dirt/compost/orchid-planting-stuff and i haven't even replaced the lost dirt, its just been sitting there blooming with half of the roots exposed. The flowers last a LONG time. This one has been in bloom since mid-December and is still holding on to its flowers, except now they are getting a reddish-orange tinge to them as opposed to the white-brown color of this photo when they had just opened. I usually keep them outside under a patio all year long, but i brought this one in to enjoy the blooms inside.
    ...See More

Kitchen open floor plan remodel, 6 months later. Thanks GW

Q

Comments (57)
    Laughable- thanks so much for the link, perhaps we can do something like that this summer when we have more time. Looks like a great fix for now until we can save the 3K for window treatments. Whit- our kitchen is just over 16' long and 12' wide. For the lighting plan we actually have a small pendant to still put in over the kitchen sink. We originally purchased 2 pendants over the peninsula, but with the kitchen light fixture, dining chandelier so close by we nixed it. We used the highly GW rec. home depot LED 4" lights. We had the electrician put them where we needed them most and have 8/9 in the kitchen and then more threw out the first floor. They are all on dimmers. With out the uppers to worry about shadows on the countertop we rarely turn them all the way up. During the day I rarely turn on any lights as the place gets lots of natural light. Good luck with your remodel. I really working in this kitchen and find it plenty big for us. We hosted Christmas and had about 5-6 people cooking/prepping and it was great. Cleans up well and the peninsula has been perfect for my 3 year olds meals and craft time and keeps her at bay while I cook. Just wanted to ad our much anticipated new addition finally made her debute fashionably late on 2/13/13, a successful VBAC: We are enjoying her just as much as the kitchen ;)
    ...See More

Mid-Season Purple Martin updates; 4 photos

Q

Comments (3)
    Sorry Linda...I use too much jargon. Wait till my "AF Veteran" kicks in! LOL HOSP is English House Sparrow. The non-native scourge of all our native cavity nesters. ASY is an "After Second Year" Purple Martin. It's an adult. The year they hatch they are called HYs. Hatching Years. This fall my HYs will migrate to southern Brazil. When they come back next spring they will have their juvenile coloring and be called SY (Second Years) although they are now only one year old. It's the second year they've been in northern American though. A few SY females will breed and nest. An even smaller number of SY males may breed. Then next fall the SYs (2010) they again migrate back to Brazil and molt into their finally adult plumage. When they come back again, (Spring 2011) they will be fully mature, ready to successfully bred and be called ASYs.
    ...See More

Successful graft in 6 months

Q

Comments (4)
    See you answered my first question from the other post. Nice graft pretty flower. I did not realize how many islands there were there.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Nell Jean
    17 years ago

Lovely! Simply lovely.

Thank goodness I already have purple beds, or I'd work myself to death hurrying to finish the Red-Bed-with-arbor-and-tuteurs to start a purple one, LOL.

Note to southeast gardeners -- Salvia leucantha for fall purple haze, hardy in zones 8-9.

Nell

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    17 years ago

Simply amazing, your color combinations are spectacular, you are, a true artist. Thank you for sharing.

A......

• georich5
    17 years ago

Hey, I'm still working on my red bed!!! That purple combo is lovely. As are your "garden sprites".
    I think the walking/working path through the bed before you plant is brilliant. Have to show that part to DH.

Happy Spring!!
    georgeanne

• putzer
    17 years ago

Okay, this is the last straw! Please tell me how you always manage such STUNNING combinations and beds. If it is one of those things you just have a talent for....will you at least visit this spring and tell me what to plant where?!

;)

Gorgeous work-I love the wall, I love the flowers you chose, and I love the way it looks all together. You really need to write a book.

• armyyife
    17 years ago

WOW, Gottagarden, that really is stunning!! I would love to know a lot of the plants you have in there. Those purple chairs would really look awsome with that garden! The stone work the flowers it is all so beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
    Meghan

• taras_garden
    17 years ago

Breathtaking! What fabulous combinations of color and foliage you have put together! Would you PLEASE tell us what those plants are, I only recognize about half of them.

• mrsgalihad
    17 years ago

Fabulous colors!

• deborahz7
    17 years ago

Beautiful! Drooling over the combo's and stonework.

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone. This is the first garden bed where I actually planned where things would go right from the start, rather than just where ever there's room.

Last year I started planting after spring was over, so I am looking forward to next month. I planted crocus, tulips, alliums, anemone coronaria, violas, iris, icicle pansies and creeping phlox. Do you think I should add forget-me-not?

The gardening year is about to begin again. It's always such a whirlwind of activity, I'll almost miss the respite of winter.

• lavendrfem
    17 years ago

Gottagarden - just beautiful..and the stone wall - wow! Tell the DH that he does fabulous work. The purple flowers are my absolute favorite. You could really sell your photos to a gardening magazine.

• armyyife
    17 years ago

gottagarden, again I must say your gardens are just breath taking! I was looking at the rest of your album and I just wished I lived closer to so I could stroll through it! Very inspiring indeed so keep those pics coming.
    Meghan

• threeorangeboys
    17 years ago

I agree- I am always amazed by your plantings. You seem to have acres and acres of gardens!
    I would always add forget me nots to everything- I love them.

• moonphase
    17 years ago

absolutely beautiful.Could you please tell me the name of the white flower in Picture no 3.The one with spires on the left,maybe astilbe? I too would love to know your plant list..lol.You are inspiring alot of us here and we have to know what plants to use.Maybe a layout..? Plans..? lol.Love the wall.I wish I had layed rock paths before I planted my cottage garden.It is so hard to get around without stepping on something.
    moonphase

• moonphase
    17 years ago

DUH! I could do that now before everything shoots up,just move what is in the path.Thanks so much.Brillant idea you have.Tell me about the side garden, where you store plants.Do you plant all your seedlings there first before you plant them out in your beds?
    moonphase

• goldenpond
    17 years ago

Beautiful gardens and absolutely fantastic stone wall.Do you have to buy stone or do you find it? In my part of Florida I pay dearly for rocks.I thought I could find someone with rocky,clay soil to trade with.... a truckload of sand for a truckload of stone!

• DYH
    17 years ago

I'm just catching up because I've been in the garden all week...

Just gorgeous! I love your colors and the wall. Isn't it great to plan and plant instead of finding a place to stick a new favorite?

Inspiration! thank you!

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The white plant in photo 3 is actually 2 plants. Variegated miscanthus grass (silberfeder) in the back and variegated sedum morning light in the back. If you look in the second photo you can see that the whitish foliage really makes a big statement in the garden. I love that sedum and am propagating more to put all over.

I figured out to put a stone path in BEFORE I planted. This after years of putting in a stone here and there to step on that always seemed to be in the wrong place. It's visible and acessible in spring, but by fall is quite overgrown and hard to see.

The stone, I LOVE stone! I saw an ad in the Pennysaver when we first moved here - "Field stone - $60 per truckload, you pick and load". Like most farms around here, farmers take the glacial stones and pile them on the perimeter of the fields. We had just moved in, and didn't know what we would do with it specifically, but I loved stone and knew this was a great price. It's about $200 a pallet at Home Depot, and a pickup truck could hold almost 3 pallets. So by doing the labor of picking, loading, and delivery ourselves, it cost a tenth as much. DH suggested we do it another year when we knew what we would use it for, but I told him that we would be lucky to find an opportunity like that again. So DH and I spent many summer evenings picking through rock piles, loading up the truck (18 truckloads, to be precise). I was pregnant when doing all this lifting, and I got a nasty, nasty case of poison ivy from the rock field. Never sure how heavy the truck was, but it was a full size pickup and definitely overweight. When going home overloaded, we would drive slowly with the flashers on. I would hold my breath and cross my fingers on the drive back.

We still have a lot of stone left (piled behind the barn), and I use it for paths, edging, etc. DH was not thrilled with doing the stone wall work, and I'm not sure he'll be willing to do that again. It took most of the summer working nights and weekends. But it sure does look nice and should last forever.

My "working garden" probably deserves a separate posting. ( another day . . .) It is where I just stick plants in the ground wherever I find room. I propagate my favorite plants, have a little tree nursery, try out color combinations, and learn what a plant is really like. I buy stuff on clearance and get stuff in swaps and it all goes into the working garden. After I learn about the plant from having grown it a while, then I move it to a new home. It's all just an experiment and I don't ever worry about whether this bed "looks good". Although it does look pretty, in a crazy, unorganized, overflowing kind of way.

Thanks for listening to this garden addict.

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Planning the garden was harder than I thought! I take tons of photos of my garden so I know what blooms when. I try to do layouts so that things that bloom at the same time are near each other. Then I have concentrated bursts of color. I also plant very densely, so I can get at least 2 seasons out of every space. So I plant spring and late summer plants right next to each other, the one taking up space in spring is cut back hard so the late summer bloomers have room to spread. I found drawing it on paper was difficult, because I wanted to rearrange things so much. I came up with my own system (don't laugh!) of labeling coins and then it was easy to rearrange. Here's a photo if you really must see how I got carried away with my planning. The pennies were my stone path. I drew an outline inside a gift box to hold all the coins.

{{gwi:648106}}

• memo3
    17 years ago

Gottagarden, Your work is very inspiring. I've kept lists of all of your plantings from your very first posting at your former home through this, the purple island.

I have thought and thought of how and what I would use to enclose my potager and have changed my mind many many times. I think now that I will try some solid color beds on each of the four sides of the potager. I'll be putting in a hoophouse in which I hope I can start seeds, and will concentrate on using seeds in single colors. It will never look as lovely as the beds you have created but it will be a fun experiment for me.

What delightful sort of garden will you be/are you working on this year?

Thank you, for your generosity in sharing your techniques.

MeMo

• Dena Walters
    17 years ago

Well as ALWAYS I'm again in total AWE of your gardens. They are just so beautiful!!
    I have one huge question..how the heck do you keep the weeds out of such large gardens?
    Again, thanks for sharing your advice and your pictures...I just keep going back and looking and looking again and again at your beds
    Wow!!
    Dena

• lavendrfem
    17 years ago

Gottagarden - I JUST LOVE that idea! I am so impressed! I've been drawing on graph paper and redrawing and redrawing... that solves the problem!

• curlykat
    17 years ago

That is gorgeous! I'm just getting started and your pictures are so inspiring!

• moonphase
    17 years ago

Gottagarden, thank you so very much for sharing this info.Your ideas are awesome.Now how to derive at a plant list.Could you tell us the list you used for this one?.Do you just list all the ones you have of say-purple then pink then blue and go from there? My mind is racing here.I have never really used but one design and that was one from the garden gate mag.I also did not stick with their list of plants.I am now having to go back and re-do the plants but the plan itself,I love.There is still so much I want to ask.Hope you share more with us.I am definately using the coins,maybe tape small photos of plants on them and group to see the colors.How long and how wide is this bed?
    I thank you so very much for your help.
    moonphase

• sha_sha
    17 years ago

Gottagarden, as with the red bed, your purple island is just beautiful. I love your style with regard to combination planting, you've got a real eye for it. I did notice your coin box plan when I went to your link. DH had commented on it too. I rarely plan in the garden, but I rarely make plant or seed purchases, either. Maybe one or two a year. I'm instituting a "working garden" as you have, too. It's great to get to know the plants you're using before you go to the trouble of doing a major area, like you have. I've always loved your implementation, but reading about your preparation makes me appreciate your work even more. You're philosophy is much like mine...beg, borrow, save and self propagate...

Thank you for sharing your lovely, and obviously dedicated work.

-S

P.S. You say you've got some of those lovely white stones left...how much do you think shipping would be...? :)

• girlndocs
    17 years ago

Beautiful.

In the upper right of the third photo, it looks like you have some variety of vibrant magenta dahlia. Am I right? Can you tell me what that variety is?

Thanks!

Kristin

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A plant list, hmmmm, maybe next week when I'm not as busy.

Kristin, the magenta dahlia is Formby Royale. It's my favorite, the color is always perfect and they have long, strong stems. I hope I never lose it one winter.

Moonphase, the bed is about 50 feet long and 9 feet wide. I actually started by placing some small trees and dwarf conifers for winter interest. Then I made of list of whatever plants I had in dark purple, rose pink, light and dark violet. Then I place them starting with biggest, then favorites, and then fillers. Then rearrange the plan 10 times. Hopefully this will stop the 10 times of rearranging when they are in the ground :-)

Weeds? In early summer I try to mulch everything once with finely ground wood chips. I never get it all done. That really takes care of most weeds. The second way I deal with them is by being tolerant of them. I always have weeds popping up later, and I do "spot weeding" if things get out of hand. (like spot cleaning) But mostly I just don't have time to keep my gardens immaculate, and a few weeds here and there are part of my gardening style.

ShaSha - I buy lots of seed started plants in tiny 4-packs, 4 for $1. (delphiniums, lobelia, hibiscus, etc) Then I grow them out in my working garden, so that after a year I will know what color they are, and can place them accordingly.

Memo - what am I working on this year? Too much!!

Peony bed to line the front driveway. I actually prepared the bed and moved the peonies last fall from my working garden. But I still need to give the bed edges - brick mow-strip on the lawn side and low stone wall on the driveway side. And of course I need to plant all around the peonies . . .

circular veggie garden I prepared the soil last year by adding and tilling truckloads of manure. Now I'm laying out paths with the same fieldstone and going to plant it up. It's more than a veggie garden, it will also be a cutting garden and tree nursery and propagation bed. I'm moving some of my working garden to here.

barn bed Flowers to be seen from a bit of distance. Yellows and whites, golds and oranges. I've got a plan, just need to find time to implement it.

front bed Last fall I finally decided on the shape of the front beds and laid a brick edge for mowing. ( a tedious, laborious job that took a really long time and one that I need to repeat for the peony bed, heavy sigh ...) Now I need to completely rearrange that bed, and plant it up. I don't have a plan yet, for some reason the front of the house stumps me.

Too many projects. . . and then I need to maintain them all! Next winter I should post photos of these new flower beds.

• tess_5b
    17 years ago

I just wanted to pipe in and say "WOW!". That is really inspiring, and your in my zone too so it's even more so. Amazing garden, and it really makes me want to get out into mine even more - tomorrow can't get here fast enough.

tess

• Annie
    17 years ago

GottaGarden,

You are a naturally artistic person as your gardens demonstrate so clearly. You have an eye for color and design. I am totally impressed every time I look at your creations. There are no words to describe them. Just amazingly beautiful.

I love that rock and the stone wall! Stones just make a garden - any garden. Stone walls are practical and add not only structure & dimension to a garden, they add long lasting beauty as well.

Your children are beautiful. It is obvious that you tend and care for them just a well.

Thanks for posting and sharing your natural talents and knowledge. I will be going back to look at those photos again and again...and be amazed over and over!
    ~Annie

• treelover
    17 years ago

gottagarden: I've bookmarked your photo album so I can look at your gardens again for inspiration...they are all so beautiful. And your children, too. Your husband didn't do a bad job on that retaining wall, either!

Will you tell me what you used to make the arbors in the photo captioned 'side garden in June'? It looks like wire mesh. Have you reinforced it at all? How does it hold up in the wind?

Tia,
    Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: arbors

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Annie, thanks so much for the compliments, I guess that's why I keep posting here!

Tree lover - I love my arbors, I love climbers! They are fine with the wind and snow, etc., because they are so open. I started with morning glories, but now I have clematis on every arbor. They've been in the ground one or two years, so this summer they should be a bit more full.

We discussed my arbors last year on the potager forum. Here is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: arbor discussion on potager forum

• party_music50
    17 years ago

It's a beautiful space!

I looked at your photo site and saw something in the last photo of the section named "Backbed - Purples"... can you tell me what the tall spikey magenta-purple flowers are on the right of the photo? It's a beautiful color! and I'd love to try something like that.

• moonphase
    17 years ago

gottagarden,could you tell me how long is the pig wire you used for your arbors?I showed this to a friend that will make me one but needs to know the length needed.Thanks.
    oh" also a few days ago I asked what was the name of the white plant.I said in photo 3 but it was photo 4 that I really should have said.it is on the left wire spires?
    Thanks so much
    moonphase

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

partymusic - those flowers are lobelia. I think they are actually lobelia cardinalis. I bought them in 4-packs and they were a seed mix that came out different colors - red, pink, blue purple, and violet purple. They're just like the common red lobelia, but a gorgeous purple that lasts long and the plants are bulking up nicely. Loved by hummingbirds.

Moonphase, the pig wire is 18 feet long. The rebar is 20, because there are foot long "stakes" at the bottoms.

Moonphase - not sure which white plant you are talking about. In photo 4 on the left - the little ones at the top are cosmos, the one in the middle is actually variegated obedient plant, you are seeing the foliage not flowers. On the right is annual white mallow, a beautiful, clean white plant that looks much nicer in person than any photos.

• party_music50
    17 years ago

gottagarden: Lobelia cardinalis?! oh my, the color is fantastic. I searched all over the net and found mostly red, some pink, a hint of orange, ... but no Lobelia cardinalis that had that magenta-purple tone. If you ever let it set seed, please consider trading with me so that I can try to get that color! :)

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm not positive it's cardinalis, but I bought 4-packs and the ones that were red look the same as my other lobelia cardinalis. I have lobelia syphilitica (giant blue lobelia) and it's definitely not that one. If I see them for sale again this spring, I will check that they are cardinalis. If you email me in the fall to remind me, I will save seeds for you. They are gorgeous plants and bulk up nicely without being spreaders.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner