SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Response to highalttransplant's How late can I plant question!

Hi High!

I'll just post my response this way. If it works, at least you'll be able to read it, and I won't have to try to remember to do it when I get back from my trip. So here I go again! Keep your fingers crossed!

Hi High,

The absolute latest you can plant is the day before the soil freezes! However, I'd recommend putting stuff in as soon as possible to give it some time to start feeling at home before the real cold hits! (If you ever do plant after it's getting down to freezing overnight, be CERTAIN whatever you're planting is thoroughly hardened off before you put it out.)

Is there anywhere in the yard where he won't be doing any work where you could put things in over winter and then move them in the spring as soon as they start growing? That might sound like a lot of extra work, but it sounds like you can't wait to get your hands into the dirt, and it actually will give you more of a head start next spring than you might think. Once the plants are in the ground, the roots will be growing all winter--anytime the soil isn't frozen. I'm not sure about out there on the western slope (what altitude are you at?), but here in Denver it's not at all unusual for the soil to not be frozen most of the winter. Just depends on the particular winter. The roots are the most important part of a perennial, and almost everything you put in the ground this fall will come up much bigger next spring. Then, when it's growing fast in spring, you can easily move it to wherever you want it without setting it back much at all usually. The earlier you move things, the better. Just an idea so you can actually start seeing some of the things you've been planning! And it's not at all unusual for folks with perennail gardens to be constantly digging things up and moving them anyway! So, join the crowd!

One thing I would suggest, especially since you're going to be getting things mail order, for planting in fall, I recommend going with plants that are in pots and already have an established root system, rather than bare root plants. You'll probably have more success with potted plants. And, when planting in fall, be sure you don't overwater! Don't leave the soil dry out completely, but be sure you don't keep it saturated. Roots need both water and oxygen, and if the soil is too wet, there's no oxygen in it--at least not enough--and the roots will rot. As the days get shorter and the temps cool down, the soil will stay wet much longer, so dig into the soil to check if it really needs watering before you water a few times until you have a pretty good feel for how often it needs it. If in doubt, ere on the side of too dry. Overwatering does far, far more serious damage to plants than underwatering does.

Don't you have even one good garden center in Glenwood you can go to? The things you're able to buy locally will already be acclimated to our growing conditions. If you ever get into Denver, plan time to check out Timberline Gardens on the west side of town at 58th and Simms. It's the best Garden Center in the Denver area for perennials. Kelly Grummons--one of the owners--is one of the most knowledgable people in Denver when it comes to perennials (or anything else that grows!), and he's always looking for new and unusual varieties that you won't find anywhere else. (He was the one that established Paulino's perennial department--which, sadly, is now going downhill.) I bought a hardy Agapanthus (Lily-of-the-Nile) there earlier this year, and can hardly wait to see it bloom next summer. And if you have questions or need recommendations, if Kelly can't help you, nobody can!

Anyway, consider setting up a temporary growing area to get your plants--and yourself--started overwinter.

Happy gardening,

Skybird

Comments (4)