SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark_rabinowitz

Advice on what veggies I can plant this late in the season

mark_rabinowitz
14 years ago

Howdy, all! First post, here.

So here's the deal: I Just moved to East Hampton, NY and rented a house. The owners have kindly consented to allow me to remove some of their ground cover flowers and plant a small vegetable garden. I have 2 plots, each just shy of 4' x 30' At least one of them gets a fair amount of sunshine (the lousy weather lately, not withstanding). Since this is a new house for me and I can't spend a day watching the sunlight pattern in my yard, I am using an Easy Grow plant sensor (anyone have any thoughts on those?) to get a better idea of what might be suitable in my yard.

My questions for you are:

1. Considering how late it is in the season, what can I still plant?

2. Is it too late to plant anything from seed? Clearly I have a great deal of nurseries around here so I can buy more mature plants, but of course I'd rather try and grow from as young as possible.

3. There's a deer fence around my yard, but I do have rabbits, birds and squirrels and while I haven't seen any yet, I know the area had possums and is loaded with raccoons, so I'd love to know what I need to fence. Is there anything raccoons and squirrels don't eat?

4. Also, one area is right next to the pool. Will the chlorine in the pool affect my veggies?

Thanks!

Mark

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting