SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mr_dove

Need help choosing a vine and a groundcover

mr_dove
13 years ago

I just finished filling my back patio with paving stones. I left two strips of dirt free for a few plants.

1. A north facing wall of my shed. This location gets alot of shade during the summer. I'm not sure what time of the year it actually gets some sun in Denver. This area is about 8' wide and 15" deep.

2. an east facing fence. During the summer it gets sun all morning and then shade in the afternoon. This area is about 8' wide and 12" deep.

I would like a few vines or climbing plants so that we can cover the side of the shed and the fence with beautiful green. A small groundcover at the foot of the ground would be perfect too.

Vine: something dense, lush, very verdant, etc. Flowers are optional. I would like something that would cover a trellis uniformly. Some plants seem to grow very top-heavy on a fence or trellis. I would like it thick enough to cover the wall/fence completely. Fast growing would also be great as we don't really plan on staying in this house for more than a few more years.

Ground-cover: 6"-12" tall. lush and thick. Maybe a leafy evergreen? Something that would work well with whatever vine is chosen.

We've looked at the Sweet Autumn Clematis and it was really pretty at the nursery. Hostas are pretty as ground cover but all the nursery had were sickly.

I would love some suggestions and recommendations.

Comments (3)