SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david52_gw

grass, clover, and worms

david52 Zone 6
13 years ago

Some years back, I met an agriculture type from New Zealand and we spent the day chatting about this and that, and he told me the foundation of their pasture management is a combo of perennial rye grass, Dutch White Clover, and earth worms. With some variations off that main theme.

I thought I'd give it a try - so with roughly two acres of lawn - a mixture of KBG, rye, western wheat grass, brome grass, and who knows what else grass, two summers ago I over-seeded with 10 lbs of white clover and 5 lbs of strawberry clover. Then again last spring, I hit the bare spots with 5 lbs and 2 lbs, respectively. This year, nothing. I left all 80% of the clippings on the lawn, used some for compost and mulch. I haven't fertilized or weed sprayed in 3 years now (except for one nasty species of thistle), but did try some Bt to control sod web worms - to no avail.

This year, its fairly impressive. Have the mower on the highest setting. The earth worms move the nitrogen and organic stuff around, the lawn is like walking on a mattress. The fruit trees and ornamentals are wonderfully lush. I'm using the grass clippings, when I pick them up, to mulch the vegetable and flower beds - every ten days I could fill a pickup truck with clippings. When I don't need the clippings for anything else, I just leave them there for the worms.

The sod web worms, well, they're still there and still do some damage, but its far less noticeable. I got dandelions - those friends with a tap root that help break up the clay.

For looks, well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder - its kinda pasture-y. A weekly mowing would keep the tall clover down and keep the lawn even, but then I don't really care, so mow it every 10 - 12 days, when its getting pretty high. In October, I'll leave it until all the leaves have fallen, then mow and make some huge compost heap with it all.

Anyway, its fun to see it come together. The strawberry clover didn't take very well, which, according to the literature, it should have. I would like to, one day, get a few thousand really early blooming daffodils and put them all over.

Comments (11)