SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jclepine

three questions, one rose , one columbine, one daisy

jclepine
12 years ago

Hi all. Here are my questions for you:

One of my Canadian roses lost a ton of canes this winter, I'm figuring it had something to do with the -27F temps that we hadn't had before. Now, it is sending out new canes that run along the ground!

What? Why? It did send up one new can upwards but most of the blooms right now are down on the ground. Kind of weird.

I would have pruned them when I noticed only I didn't notice until there were already signs of tiny buds. I don't want to loose any blooms!

Should I wait till it becomes a popsicle (it blooms straight into winter until the flowers are literally popsicles) or should I just bite the bullet and prune it now? None of the others lost their canes and they are all supposed to be hardy without winter protection down to -35.

Another question is regarding the Anthemis biebersteiniana. I'd like to split some off to create a new plant but I've honestly never split a plant before! Skybird, I'm guessing you can tell me since you do this all the time! It is about a foot in diameter and was very unhappy when I transplanted it. It didn't bloom for a whole year after that.

My last question is regarding the Aquilegia chrysantha. It has never done well up here. This year is the best it has looked and bloomed. I have it in amended clay with soil, Canadian sphagnum peat moss, lots of compost and some cedar bark chips on top to help keep moisture in. Should I add something else? My neighbor has one that is perfectly happy and full with blooms each year! I do have some of that aged manure left over, should I add that in?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Thank you,

Jennifer

Comments (5)