SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilacs_of_may

Garden Report

lilacs_of_may
16 years ago

My irises came! My irises came! Last spring I ordered irises from Schreiners. They came yesterday, and I finally today got a chance to open the package. I'm always pleased with Schreiners' rhizomes. They're always big, fat, and healthy. And they package them very carefully, too. I also ordered an iris from ebay, which arrived yesterday. Much smaller, but then it isn't a tall bearded. It does have three stalks growing out of it.

I got:

Westar (the little guy)

Laced Cotton

Mesmerizer

Before the Storm

Black Suited

Anvil of Darkness

Batik

Magical Encounter

County Cork

and another black one that I can't remember offhand

Now I have a question for you iris fanciers. July, August, and September are the months to plant iris, but the worst of Colorado summer is probably still to come. I don't want to chance planting iris and then have them bake before they're properly rooted. But I'm not sure if it's a good idea having them sitting in a box for several weeks, either. What would you do?

My potatoes are doing fairly well. The ones in the potato bag have lost a couple leaves. Perhaps I'm overwatering a bit. The ones in the raised beds are doing well, except for the Carola, which died straight off. It's time to hill them again. This weekend I hope to be able to drag home a bag of compost. I hilled my volunteer All Blue across the yard. It's pretty badly eaten, but it's still alive, so I might possibly get some spuds from it.

I have five brassica left. The three remaining ones in the raised bed (purple cauliflower, Diablo Brussels sprouts, and purple sprouting broccoli) are doing the best. They're still small, but aside from being a little pepper shot, they look healthy. The two in the circular bed (Diablo Brussels sprouts and purple sprouting broccoli) are pretty much bug eaten. If I can keep the bugs off them, they might make it. All of my Minaret, Green Goliath, and Nutribud broccoli died, as well as almost all of my cauliflower. I'm growing more seedlings for fall planting, and I'm trying different varieties.

My Black Plum and Roma tomatoes in containers are growing and looking fairly healthy. Some of the basil I've put in with them seems to be operating as trap crops. It's more eaten up than the tomatoes. The Opalka is in my square foot success container. It's not growing as fast as the others. My San Marzano was the latest to be transplanted. It looks like it's still trying to get its feet under it, so to speak, but it's hanging in there. I think this weekend, I'll move them all to the other side of the back porch, where they'll get more sun.

My melons.... (shaking head) My poor, poor, sad melons. (Sigh.) As I said in another post, in spite of transplanting them carefully and taking every precaution, they were eaten down to nothing within a day or two. The toilet paper rolls are still there, but they've nothing to protect. I reseeded the garlic patch with five melon hills, and a row each of marigold, lettuce, and carrots. I sowed quite a bit of seed, too. I didn't think "sowing thinly" would cut it in my yard. And it doesn't make any sense to save the seed. Not much is going to change from this year to next except that the seeds will be a year older.

After five days, I see nary one tiny sprout, anywhere in the bed. Isn't five days enough time to see SOMETHING, if anything was going to grow there?

My sunflowers never came up. No sign of anything but bare dirt. And they were my fallback privacy screen, too.

For whatever reason, I seem to have the best luck with bulb type plants. Most of my iris survived (except the ones stolen by the squirrels), and quite a few of them even bloomed. Ditto the tulips, daffodils, and crocus, and my garlic harvest was quite respectable. Maybe bulbs and rhizomes just like my dry, sandy soil better.

I also seem to have decent luck with potatoes, although I can't grow carrots for the life of me. I see a lot of garlic mashed potatoes in my future.

Comments (5)