SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Garden Report after the storm

newyorkrita
12 years ago

I am so pleased to see daylilies blooming out there today as I wasn't sure what would happen after the storm. But there they are and just look like nothing unsual had happened. In fact everything, shrubs, roses and flowers, look great today. I would have thought the zinnias might get flattened but they are fine.

There are lots of twigs littering the yard but no big branches down around, hurray. My sunflower which was very tall (around ten feet) is toast and snapped down lying in the pathway and I will have to haul that away. The Butterfly Bushes all have some snapped branches which I will have to cut also but Butterfly Bushes grow fast anyway and always need trimming so no major problem.

I turned the power back on to my pump in the pond so the fountain is working again and I see fish swimming around so don't think they came to any harm.

Yesterday I put my porch furnature back out as I had hauled it all inside expecting much more wind than we actually got and thinking it might all blow away. Same with the patio furnature and hanging plants. Put them away and hauled it back out. Really I just did what they told us to do on the news. They were at first forcasting winds which they said could blow out windows so I was very worried. Fortunately the winds were downgraded by the time the storm arrived. Winds must have been bad enough as Long Island is a mess of downed trees and power lines.

Fortunatly since I didn't loose power I can see all this on the news. Lipa (or power company) said that about half of their customers did loose power. So it could take a week or more before all the outtages are restored. I don't want to imagine what would have happened with an even stronger storm hitting us here in the NY area.

Comments (12)

Sponsored