SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Imported tea: pesticides, nausea, and tummy ache

strawchicago z5
9 years ago

For over a decade I kept having tummy ache and nausea after drinking green tea. At first I thought I didn't soak the tea long enough in boiling water to kill germs. After nuking that twice, I still have tummy ache. I finally learn to listen my body rather than what's on the internet: how healthy green tea is.

Then came the Linus Pauling Institute report that Green-tea capsule caused nausea, and more news on pesticides residues in tea.

Years ago a friend went to China to adopt a Chinese baby. She drank some green tea in the hotel and told me she had the worst stomachache. I read reviews on dry Goji Berries on Amazon, and folks report seeing dried maggots and molds when they put that into their tea. Some excerpts on pesticides in imported teas:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/pesticide-traces-in-some-tea-exceed-allowable-limits-1.2564624

CBC tested black and green teas including Canada�s most popular brands: Lipton, Red Rose, Tetley and Twinings. Other popular brands tested included No Name, Uncle Lee�s Legends of China, King Cole and Signal.

Using an accredited lab, CBC used the testing method employed by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) to test pesticide residues in dry tea leaves.

Half of the teas tested contained pesticide residues above the allowable limits in Canada. And eight of the 10 brands tested contained multiple chemicals, with one brand containing residues of 22 different pesticides.

Some of the pesticides found � including endosulfan and monocrotophos � are in the process of being banned from use in some countries because of dangers to the environment and to workers. Of the 10 brands tested, only Red Rose came back free of pesticide residues.

http://www.naturalnews.com/040972_Celestial_Seasonings_pesticides_tea.html#

'Consumers are sure to wonder: If you can't trust Celestial Seasonings, which teas can you trust? The answer appears to be Twinings, for one. A rankabrand.org report gives an A to Twinings teas, their highest rating for sustainability. Celestial Seasonings got an E, the lowest sustainability ranking.

Following is a list of the teas tested by Eurofins:

Green Tea Peach Blossom
Green Tea Raspberry Gardens
Authentic Green Tea
Antioxidant Max Dragon Fruit
Green Tea Honey Lemon Ginger
Antioxidant Max Blackberry Pomegranate
Antioxidant Max Blood Orange
Sleepytime Kids Goodnight Grape
Sleepytime Herb Teas
English Breakfast Black K-Cup
Rooibos Safari Spice

Of all the teas tested, only Rooibos Safari Spice had zero pesticides, and the rest exceeded federal safety and/or California safety limits:

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/040972_Celestial_Seasonings_pesticides_tea.html##ixzz3GbfjSWaL

http://healthcarenewsblog.com/does-your-tea-have-pesticides/

So tea is good for you. And it should be more so, if it�s bought from China, the main source and world�s biggest tea producer, right?

No, Greenpeace says in a statement on April 11. That�s because there�s pesticides in that tea.

The international environmental organization says it has detected pesticides banned from use in tea in products made by major Chinese brands � including Tenfu�s Teas, Zhang Yiyuan, Wuyutai and China Tea King.

The pesticides it found in Chinese tea were banned because these could affect fertility and cause permanent genetic damage, Greenpeace says. The group bought 18 products from nine Chinese tea companies in the major cities ... Seven of those firms are among China�s top 10 tea sellers. The tea products included green tea, oolong tea and jasmine tea.

After sending the teas for testing in an accredited lab, Greenpeace found that 12 of the 18 samples contained at least one pesticide banned from use in tea � including methomyl and endosulfan.

The World Health Organization (WHO) classifies methomyl as highly hazardous because of its high acute toxicity. Endosulfan is another highly toxic pesticide. Because it bioaccumulates, its toxic effects persist in the body for a long time � that�s why it�s been banned worldwide under the Stockholm Convention.

Specifically, this is what the Greenpeace investigators found:
� Even some of the most famous and expensive teas sold under popular brands � like Wuyutai, Tenfu and Eight Horses � contained pesticides that are banned in China or even worldwide.
� 18 samples contained at least three pesticides.
� 14 out of 18 teas tested contain the kind of pesticides that may affect fertility, harm an unborn child or cause heritable genetic damage.
� 11 of the samples � including Tenfu�s Bi Luo Chun tea and jasmine tea produced by Zhang Yiyuan and Wuyutai � contain both methomyl and endosulfan.
� Richun�s Tieguanyin 803 tea � even showed up with 17 different kinds of pesticides." For more info., see link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pesticides in imported tea from China

Comments (14)