SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friedabyler

I Want it All!! [disease resistance, fragrance, shade tolerance

friedabyler
12 years ago

Hello y'all,

We're currently working on some low maintainance landscaping around our home and I'm toying with the idea of planting roses along a fence. They need to be disease resistant, because I don't do chemicals and even organic spraying would become cumbersome for that many roses. To me, a rose has got to have fragrance to be worth growing, [Got spoiled by some OGR's here at our older home, lol!] and some shade tolerance would be a good idea as well, as the fence itself casts shade for part of the day, with the planted side to the south of the fence. The fence needs occasional staining and sealing, so I prefer to avoid anything with ferocious thorns or something that can't handle a good pruning. I'm not particular about color, [except that it looks good with the rustic amber/brown of the fence] and something that wafts it's fragrance on warm summer evenings would be delightful.

I had considered winter honeysuckle as an alternative, because I've heard that it's very low maintainance and winter blooms are rare, but am wondering now whether they could be combined, for the best of both worlds.???

Any suggestions?

Comments (8)