SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carduus

I want it all (and I want it soon)

carduus
13 years ago

After over a week of poring through the interwebs for ideas and spending several days on these forums, I'm getting somewhat frustrated. So I turn to you, gentle Rose forum-types.

I live in zone 5b. I have an east-facing 6x15 fence that is shaded by a 100-foot tree, so that it gets about 3 hours of direct afternoon sun and 3 hours of (very) dappled sun through various trees. It might get a couple hours more of dappled sun once it makes it to the top of the fence. I'd like a climber to cover this fence, but apparently I want too many things. In order of importance:

1. Solid in 5b. This is a fence that's nowhere near the house.

2. A climber. I want to cover the fence, at least. Maybe go up the tree if possible.

3. Will flower in part shade.

4. Double+ habit. Never liked the dog roses.

5. Not insanely difficult. I've managed to keep my Crown Princess Margareta alive and blooming for two years now, but anything more difficult than that may be beyond me.

6. Multiple blooming. A lot of the New Dawn-style roses say they'll bloom again, but when you see reviews, you see half or more of the people asking why it won't bloom a second time.

7. Strong scent. I'd love to be able to smell it while standing in the yard.

If I didn't realize I was asking the impossible, I wouldn't be asking you guys, the experts. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022