SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katiezub

Selling my house soon, want to fill in lawn - should I seed Rye?

katiezub
15 years ago

I have a fairly small lawn area (about 40sqm) of Palmetto warm season grass (which is similar to St Augustine i think).

I turfed it about 1 year ago. I also have two very active dogs which have left the lawn bare in areas, although with a bit of love and sectioning off areas from the dogs it has been recovering over the summer (I'm in Australia and we are coming to the end of summer).

If I was to stay living here I would just wait for the existing turf to fill in the spots as it's getting there slowly (and looks great!) and I would prefer to have just the one variety of turf. I've planted some viro-cell runners of Palmetto which might go some way to filling in the bare spots but not all the way in only a couple of months.

I'm planning on selling my home in the next few months and would like to get rid of the remaining bare spots. I was thinking of seeding with Rye, as this will germinate quickly.

Will it look weird having Rye & Palmetto next to each other? I know they won't match perfectly in terms of colour and blades but i figure it will be better than bare earth. Has anyone done this? Any other suggestions?

I just need to spruce the place up to have it looking good for photos and inspections !!

Comments (6)