SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

What attract insects (rose slugs, aphids, mites) to plants?

strawchicago z5
9 years ago

In 2 decades growing roses in previous acidic clay, and in my present alkaline heavy clay ... the only time I got RRD (rose rosette disease) was when I used too much acidic high-nitrogen fertilizer NPK 10-5-4 on Easy Elegance Grandma's Blessing rose.

That rose was pale in my pH 7.7 clay, so I put acidic, high-nitrogen fertilizer to green that up. That caused fast growth spurt, plus the acidic sulfate caused thinner leaves, which become more susceptible to mite-invasion. For the next 3 years, none of my 50+ roses have RRD.

The below link explains why organic fertilizer is better than chemical. Here are some excerpts from below link:

"synthetic iron chelates cause a manganese deficiency and lower zinc and copper levels; EDTA grabs calcium ions and thus upsets the calcium-potassium balance. September 1981, Acres U.S.A., p. 32-33"

"Blood meal contains about 15% Nitrogen, Bonemeal contains about 21% Phosphorus, and wood ashes contain about 7% Potassium. Mix one part blood meal, one part bonemeal and 2 parts wood ashes and you get an organic fertilizer supplying nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium in the ratio 5-6-4."

"The University of California at Berkeley has found that broccoli and other vegetables fertilized with organic fertilizers attracted less pests (aphids and flea beetles) than those with chemical fertilizers."

"Grass clippings contain 4% nitrogen, 0.5% phosphorous, 2% potassium and many essential minor elements (Texas A & M University)."

"USDA studies indicate that raw manure lost 50-75% of its nitrogen in storage and application."

"Plants grown with ammonia- based synthetic fertilizers actually attract pest insects (Earth Kind Gardening, 1993). Many studies since then have confirmed that insects and diseases are attracted to plants that have had artificial fertilizers applied."

"If a soil contains 4% organic matter...then up to 55Kg (120lbs) of ammonium could be released each year per acre (USDA)."

**** From Straw: Agree with the last statement, my most lush & healthy & full foliage roses have either alfalfa or rotted leaves in the planting hole to supply slow-released nitrogen for years. See picture below of Annie L. McDowell in its 3rd year August, was planted with lots of alfalfa meal and fall-leaves in the planting hole.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why organics over chemicals for plants?

Comments (22)