SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_co_gw

My backyard garden

michelle_co
16 years ago

In lieu of crashing HighAltTrans's thread, I thought I'd post my bloomers on their own thread.

My garden should be named 'Under Construction'. It's a rural field type area, slowly being turned into a drip garden.

We'll start the tour on the patio, with some of the roses in the pot ghetto. I just noticed the headless dog in the back of the photo, my ridgeback (probably looking for something to eat on the ground).

{{gwi:302182}}

Lambs Ear, self seeded, is taking over the patio entrance. The bees go wild over this stuff.

{{gwi:1207719}}

Poppies are taking over the other patio entrance. Hollyhocks are on one side, the other side is occupied by a rampant grape, iris, daylilies, a new rosa 'Reine Des Violettes', a white coneflower, various minis, and self seeded Mexican Hat. All sorts of small sedum are tucked into the rock steps. There are two small planting pockets behind the hollyhocks that are planted with mini rosa 'Sweet Chariot'.

{{gwi:1207720}}

The heirloom hollyhocks are well over 7' tall. I fed them alfalfa tea last year, and they went nuts. There is also some ornamental grass (porcupine grass?), short sumac, iris, and a rosa 'Hansa' is tucked in the middle of the hollyhocks.

{{gwi:1207721}}

This is the backside of the hollyhocks, there is a bed with an established Lady Elsie May rose, and I have started a few shasta daisies, variegated iris, rosa 'Bubble Bath', and rosa 'Gourmet Popcorn'. In the background is my sweet Canon City ex-inmate, Smooch (mustang).

{{gwi:1207722}}

The shed needs paint and a door, never mind that. Around the right side, I have started a rosa 'Autumn Sunset', a small rosemary, and Kintzley's Ghost honeysuckle. In front of the shed is the cool stump. Mexican Hat is growing in front of it, along with a Mexican Primrose, salvia, and some lemon thyme. There are mini roses on the other side, out of site. Behind it, a climbing mini rosa 'Jeanne La Joie' is started to grow up that flower trellis. However, the baby bunny keeps nibbling on it, it remains to be seen if it will make it.

{{gwi:1207723}}

This bed blooms with tulips, iris, and allium in Spring, now in bloom are rosa 'FJ Grootendorst' and 'Pam Tillis', yellow daylilies, a very large Goblin (it likes alfalfa tea, too), and a Black Knight buddleia is coming up. Slightly in front of it is a new bed of mini roses and Purple Pygmy agastache (which I planted yesterday). There are also some Stella d'Oros kicking around. The little tree is a columnar buckthorn. Probably should be SP'd. Across the road in the background is a new bed that I started this year.

{{gwi:1207724}}

This is another island bed, started last year. The tree is a Golden Chaintree, there are lots of tiger iris. It's populated with daylilies, an apache plume, the red rose is 'Champlain', there is also a rosa 'Quietness'. The grass is a Maiden Hair grass. I planted rosa 'Morden Sunrise' in there and it's been a very pretty bloomer all Spring.

{{gwi:306182}}

So, that's all for now, folks. Hope you enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Michelle

Comments (12)