SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cojen_gw

Destroying Weeds, Managing a Garden, and Solving World Hunger

cojen
17 years ago

Ok, so I am not solving world hunger but if bindweed was edible, I might have a start....*sigh*

So...I am on my 2nd year of outdoor vegetable gardening. Last year my garden was about half the size it is now. Here is my problem... The old section is totally manageable in the weed situation. It still takes a good couple hours every week to keep up on it. Now the new section, totally different story. The weeds growing, the sheer amount is amazing. My question, a good friend says he lays old wood on top of everything that isn't purposely growing. He said it kills the weeds and gives nice places to step. Would this work or would it leave soggy spots and great places for the bugs to gather after they eat all of my tasty squash plants? Or do I need to stop whining, and just get all of the weeds pulled. I should post a picture of this section.

I was going to throw wood mulch down to cradle my squash after I weeded and he said that would be bad when it came time to garden next year. I appreciate his advice but I like to hear more than one form. So thank you in advance. I love that these forums are here, they have been soooo helpful!

Jen

Comments (5)