SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

the ultimate in rodent control

digit
16 years ago

I am very pleased that 3 owls have moved into the neighbor's hay shed.

Of course I didn't take this picture - it was contributed to a university site and I'm just keeping the contribution going.

Three days ago, I crawled thru the weeds and took a snapshot of the 2 babies. They were in the process of grooming and just a blur of feathers. I got a picture of the adult at the other end of the barn (I'm assuming Mom). She very nearly had this expression but the angle and everything was "tortured" and very distant.

After my exertions to document their residence, I dropped the camera and, to really take care of things, stepped on it. It was in the carry case but the photo's (over 60) were gone when I checked at home - except for the 2 earliest saved all the way from last year. At least, this camera abuse is how I account for the loss of the pictures. I once was a pretty good 35 mm photographer - with this little digital, I am incredibly lame.

Yesterday, I was out there before sunrise. The adult owl was in the garden and flew onto the roof of a small nearby shed - against the light of the eastern sky, her image was striking - of course I didn't have the camera.

The magpies were already up and 2 were tormenting the owl on the shed. She was having none of it - - probably 5 times their size, she was very aggressively going after the magpies beak, talon, and feather. I'm sure she'll have them for breakfast if she is able to catch them. I first became aware of the owls in the hay shed when I noticed a sea gull leg down on the floor. Yikes!

All evidence of rabbits in the garden is waaay down.

digitS'

Comments (12)