SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bejay9_10

Rodents vs owls - nest boxes - success?

bejay9_10
11 years ago

This has been the "year of the rodents" here. My veggie boxes are well-protected with hardware cloth on bottom and cages on top, but the rest of the yard is full of holes - suspect moles/voles. The vacant lot next door now is almost completely covered with a large sized ice plant with pretty yellow/white flowers, however, suspect it also to be a great breeding ground for the underground critters.

Also - to make life more interesting, have now acquired 2 cotton tails and a pair of gray squirrels. So far - they aren't doing too much damage because of my defences, but am beginning to be concerned because of their increasing numbers, and my extra effors to protect my edibles.

I noticed an ad for barn owl boxes made locally - and was wondering if anyone has ever had much success with this type of predator control. We have had a variety of other animals that seemed to have been successful in controlling these rodents - raccoons, fox, coyote, but perhaps they are dwindling in numbers now - and the smaller critters are getting out of hand.

Any thoughts?

Bejay

Comments (7)