SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

How to get Pat to stand up straight?

KnoxRose z7
9 years ago

Hi All,

I have been considering growing Pat Austin for a long while now, her color and flower form are beyond gorgeous- exactly what I want for my garden, and while I have never seen her in person, I hear so many good things about her scent & disease resistance that I think I must have her. However, the thing that has held me back from pushing that buy button every time I look at her on Heirloom is the fact that almost everyone on the whole internet complains about how all her flowers are constantly in a state of heavy droop because of her exceptionally weak necks. I know some people find this trait charming, and a small amount of it I might too, but Pat seems to be pretty much the worst case of it I have seen, like you almost have to lay on the ground to enjoy her blooms. I am limited on space so I really want to be able to see the beautiful flowers I am giving up the garden space to grow.

I have seen photos of Pat posted by certain users (Strawberryhill I'm looking at you) that have beautifully perfect growth habit, with oodles of flowers happily facing the sky... so I wonder... what is your secret? I have read somewhere you said sulfate of potash is one of your favorite fertilizers & may strengthen stems, is that it? That seems so simple a solution for so many others to still have such problems.... I am not entirely convinced that you don't have some sort of rose magic that the rest of us are missing out on. I know from your posts here that your soil is sticky alkaline clay, as is mine, so I am hoping that whatever solution you have devised for Pat's wimpy necks will work for me because I don't think I can resist Pat much longer if I keep seeing your beautiful photos!

Jessica

Comment (1)