SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mpls_greenhorn

New Rugosa - He's Not Very Happy - Help!

mpls_greenhorn
17 years ago

Hi,

I just purchased a Rugosa hybrid shrub rose (Magnifica) two weeks ago. In the past 5 days or so, I've noticed that it does not look very happy. Any advice you can give would be most appreciated.

There are no new flowers, and the existing buds/flowers have started to droop very sadly. In addition, the leaves are starting to curl slightly on the edges, and feel "crisp" along the edges as well. HOWEVER, the leaves are not turning brown. They are still green.

At first I thought it simply wasn't getting enough water. But we have an irrigation system, which has been on daily. None of our other plants seem to have issue. In addition to that, the extra waterings we have given the rose over the past 3-4 days have not made it look any happier. So I'm not sure what to do.

If it dies, of course, I will get my money back from the greenhouse I purchased it from... but I would prefer that it lives. I am a working mother with two small children, and Rugosas are about the only type of roses that I have time to care for and enjoy. They are wonderful. Even in the harsh winters of Minneapolis, they seem to require little care. We just moved to this house, and I've had a hard time even finding any Rugosas available to purchase. Most greenhouses only have those "Carefree Wonder" shrub roses--which, at least in my case, are anything but carefree.

Thanks for your help,

Denise

Comments (4)