SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Please Id this old cottage rose- back again but with more pics

Hi guys! I posted this question last year, but it was unable to be identified because I only had one pic. Well im back with more! Heres my info on it.

This rose was given to my mother by her mother more than twenty-five years ago. Im not sure if thats when she bought it, or if she had had it in her garden for an even longer time. Im not sure if this is some sort of species rose or a cultivar.

This rose is VERY large. It has no trouble shooting up eight or more foot canes. The canes themselves are very erect. The canes that are the oldest get crackled and rather resemble tree bark. They are also a deep mahogany color. The youngest new stems are a light green.

There are many buds per stem. The roses themselves are a medium dark pink. The anthers and filaments are a yellow-beige color. The rose has a wonderful spicy fragarance. I belive the shape is what you would call cupped. The berries (hips) of the rose are round and are a red-orange color in winter.

The foliage is a medium green color, and semi-glossy.

I cant let this rose get too big, as it is right against my front window. But I think It would make a HUGE rose if allowed to grow unpruned.

Its also worth mentioning that ive gotten several starts from this rose from suckers, which I think are from the main plant's roots.

Ive checked all sorts of sites and books to try and id it, but I havent been able to. Ill still love this rose even if I dont know its name though.

Thank you for any ideas you can give me. Let me know if I could give you any more info about it. And if you know of any other good sites or books to help id it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Original Picuture I posted

{{gwi:1222738}}

Canes

{{gwi:1222739}}

Flowers

{{gwi:1222740}}

Upclose

{{gwi:1222741}}

Buds

{{gwi:1222743}}

CMK

Comments (17)