SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Rose treasures in old cemeteries.....(lots of pics)

celeste/NH
15 years ago

Every winter I like to look back at the wonderful old roses that DH and I have found as we scour the countryside in search of old cemeteries. I always enjoy sharing them with my friends here. We put in a lot of miles on our motorcycle last summer and came upon some real treasures.

Most of these I successfully rooted cuttings of so they will be treasured forever in my garden and preserved from being lost.

Here are some photos of some of our favorite finds...I hope you enjoy the little 'tour'.

Celeste

What a show this Alba put on last June! We were mesmerized by its brilliant white beauty.....

{{gwi:230908}}

{{gwi:230909}}

{{gwi:230910}}

We always find Scotch roses all around our state, probably because they are so tough and so incredibly hardy & resilient. They are my husband's favorite rose. Here are some variations.....

{{gwi:230911}}

{{gwi:230912}}

{{gwi:230913}}

{{gwi:230914}}

Gorgeous dark pink rose....can anyone identify it? Blooms are bright pink, large, rounded but loosely doubled & muddled in shape, not much fragrance that I could detect. Leaves come 5 to a stem and are rounded. Buds are round. I cannot assess size of the bush because I suspect what was blooming was NOT the original plant, but a sucker of it that survived. There was a dead stump beside it which I presume was once the original bush.

{{gwi:230915}}

{{gwi:230916}}

{{gwi:230917}}

view of it in full sunlight.....

{{gwi:230918}}

This cemetery was very unkempt and weeds were choking this rosebush.....

{{gwi:230919}}

Close-up of blooms.....they are very small, round & dark purplish-red. Bush wants to climb up the trees around it. No fragrance.

{{gwi:230920}}

{{gwi:230921}}

This next rose was the most fragrant rose I have EVER smelled! I don't know what it is, but the scent fills the air....and I carried home a bloom and even though it was dried out when we got home it still smelled delicious for days.

{{gwi:230922}}

Bush....

{{gwi:230923}}

THE END....

{{gwi:230924}}

Comments (16)