SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flower_garden_gw

Please help me pick an ornamental grass

flower_garden
11 years ago

I have a 3-foot strip of rock area where I want to plant a few ornamental grasses. It is a dry area; it will only be watered every two weeks or so. On one end I have several Karl Foerster grasses which look beautiful, but I want something different for this new area (they don't connect...there are shrubs between them). I think I have it narrowed down to 2 choices, but I'm having trouble deciding between them. Help!

The first choice is red switch grass (panicum virgatum 'shendandoah') and the second is northern sea oats (chasmanthium latifolium). I like the fact that the switch grass will be red, but it's also classified as a sod-forming grass and I don't want it to be invasive. The sea oats look cool with their decorative blooms, but I'm not sure if they will be different enough from the Karl Foersters. Both seem to be very drought tolerant, and though the switch grass gets taller I think either size will work. So which one is best?

By the way, I also considered miscanthus but it seems to require more water so it's out for this area (though I have some in the front yard and love them).

Hope you all have a great time this weekend at the spring plant swap! I won't be there, but I hope to see you all at the fall swap :).

Trish

Comments (7)