SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jxnhole_gw

Weed control advice for Wyoming new 'gardener'?

jxnhole
19 years ago

Hi! I have been reading through this forum for a little while now...and you guys know your stuff! I am sorry if my first post is too long...

I live in Jackson and my husband and I bought a new home a year ago. We landscaped fully last year with sod, about 15 trees and about 25 shrubs (1/2 acre lot) and 350 bulbs (they are starting to pop now!!!) and the lot looks great!

The thing is, our backyard opens up to open space...where weeds have grown for years and years! last year we did all the thistle killing we could (felt like daily!) and spot sprayed every weed that we saw (most over 6 feet tall!), and right before the winter we cut the entire open space down (probably about 1/4 acre before it goes up a hillside).

This open space is mostly these weeds, plus some native grasses.

I know we will have to continue killing the weeds for a long time...but am wondering if anyone has thought of something brilliant to help with this weed control?

I was thinking of laying down some weed fabric in select areas, then loading some dirt above that and tossing out some wildflower seed. But I don't know wildflowers very well to know if that would work!

Another thought was lay down weedbfabric, and cut holes in areas and start planting as many hardy shrubs as possible and hopefully they'll squash the weeds eventually!

Well, let me know what you experts think? Am I crazy?? The other thing I should mention is since this isn't even our property, but is open space that belongs to our subdivision, we don't want to spend a fortune! A few hundred dollars (like $500 or so) might be our budget. Hmm...now I'm thinking I'M crazy! :-)

Thanks!

Comments (3)