SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriafl

Late bloomer

plumeriafl
17 years ago

I thought I would share an interesting experience with rooting a plumeria "log" this year. I purchased a piece of a plumeria trunk (3" diameter) that had been snapped by tropical storm winds. The person I purchased it from had chainsawed the trunk into pieces and potted them up. I purchased one of these trunk pieces this past Spring and took it out of the pot to plant it in the ground. At that point I discovered that there were no roots developed yet, although a branch was already growing out from the trunk.

Over the course of the summer a second branch grew from the trunk. I saw no flowers all summer/fall, although an inflorescence stalk started to appear in early November. Now it is the end of December and blooms are just starting to open! I am in zone 9b and we have had a pretty mild winter so far, but still several cold snaps. Most of my other plumerias have lots the majority of their leaves, and this one lost some but is still actively growing. In fact, new branches are forming from the spot the inflo is growing out of. I certainly wasn't expecting this so late in the season...

Maybe it's the luck of living in a neighborhood that has a street named Frangipani Drive!

Photo taken yesterday

Below is the plumeria photographed earlier this year

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH