SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlmill_gw

new to CO. Springs. Help please!

dlmill
19 years ago

Hello all,

My husband is finally out of the Army and we are finally getting to settle down and buy our first home. Our new house, which we're moving in to in May, is on the east side of Co. Springs. It's not a new construction, so there is already a "yard." That is, there's a great patio, grass (sorry, I don't know the variety) in the front and some patchy grass in the back. I assume that when the home was built in 2001 there was sod put in the front and the owners then tried to seed the backyard.

We like grass, so we'd like to keep as much as we can, but I know about the drought situation, so I'd like to conserve water and lower our bills.

If anyone could give me an idea of what might be better than Kentucky Bluegrass I would appreciate it. We don't have kids, but plan to get a dog or two at some point, so it would have to be fairly hardy.

I'd also love to start gardening. I've never had the ability to have anything more than annuals, because in our 7 years of marrage I've never had a yard for more than a year! Any ideas of pretty, water-efficient, and easy-to-grow plants and flowers would be great, as well as ideas of where to get advice and plants at a local nursery.

From reading another post, I am already planning a trip to the Denver Botanical Gardens, and I will get a book or two before I start planting.

Thank you!

Comments (11)