SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Yet Another Large Bed to Fill

aloha2009
12 years ago

Yesterday my 5 Pink Knock Out Roses came in the mail that I have allocated space for in a 16.6' x 14' triangular raised flower bed.

This bed will mostly be viewed from the long side of the triangle (the wavy hypotenuse). We navigate alongside this area going from the upper yard to the lower area, and while we lay in the hammock.

I'm marking the spots I THINK I want to plant these but being I've never done large planting areas by scratch, I'm going into uncharted territory.

I was thinking of placing a rose-of-sharon in the corner area. This would give the area height while hiding the air conditioning unit (just above another retaining wall). Perhaps a tall ornamental grass or even evergreen narrow juniper would be better. I'm still open for suggestions being nothing has been purchased but the roses.

Thoughts of ornamental grass, peony, iris, salvia, and daylily have been swirling in my head.

Do I need to think about anything special planting the roses and certain plants around it?

Having little grass, really is pushing my gardening knowledge to the max. Having to go from shade to sun, has taught me so much, but now I find myself being concerned about butterflies, honeybees (I found my first one on my European Mountain Ash today), fragrance, long bloom and seasonal bloom. It feels all like a crash course.

Comments (5)