SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tennandy

Need advice on filling a large raised bed

tennandy
15 years ago

I have a spot picked out to construct a 5' x 10' raised bed, and Im anxious to get it started.

Now,I want it tall so I'm am thinking about 3) 2 x 10's stacked up around the perimeter to make the wall around 28" tall. this equates to roughly 100 cubic feet of "soil". obviously I am in need of advice , by asking a few questions.I want to do this right because this will be my(and the spouse's) vegetable garden.

A)-How and what should I fill it with to get this rather deep garden bed ready before the fall planting season begins?

B)-would it be silly to purchace 1 or 2) pallets of a garden mix(not soil,.. mix,) I haven't check what that would cost yet.and I don't want to waste my limited funds if a better solution is out there. and folks,, I don't have a mulch bed started(yet)

C)Is there a reason that the heigth is not sensable? I want the growing medium to be good and deep, is that wrong thinking?( I want to create something that tomatoes,cukes and other good stuff will grow in like nobodys business!)

any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance , Andy

Comments (13)