SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wishccr

Thyme as a lawn alternative

17 years ago

Last year I orderd three flats of Ohme Garden Thyme from HCG (a pretty big investment at $100 a flat).

I planted one flat in a an incredibly tough area (lots of shade and lots of dog traffic) and it did amazingly well, spreading from tiny plugs to 6-7 inches. It really hugs the ground, which is desirable so it doens't hide or outshine my flower beds.

The other two flats I planned to put into another area, but some unplanned excavation prevented me from getting this done. So all summer I tried to keep the flats alive (the hot dry days can really dry flats out fast).

By the end of the summer they looked really bad. Some of the plants were absolutely dead, but in October (yes, you read that right) I planted everything that even had a tinge of green on it. (Northside of the house, moderate soil prep and some root stim, mulched for the winter)

Every single plant came back this spring to my surprise. I am pretty thrilled since erosion is a big problem for me perched on the side of this rocky ol' mountain and a grass lawn was out of the question.

This is a bit of encouragement to those who want to give thyme a try, I think you will be pleased.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals